Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Sibling rivalry...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sibling rivalry...
Taylor
Activist
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so how do I deal with a couple of very jealous twins??...ok as most of you know I have a b/g set of twins who are 3 years old and also a new 3 month old son and well Ashleigh and Skyler are kind of jealous of the new baby even though I do not limit my time to them I tell them all the time that momy is never too buisy to play with them...and I play with them all but this morning when I took my 3 children into daycare my twins little frind asked who the baby was...Ashleigh and skyler both said oh that's my little brother but I don't like him he gets everything he wants...and I want my kids to love each other or at least like each other so what should I say to them to let them know that even if I have ten babie I will love them just as much and that there is nothing to hate about little Denzel? also if you guys I MEAN GIRLS have any stories or questions shoot...

------------------
Love,Taylor and Family
(Ashleigh,Skyler,Denzel)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my son was the same way after i had my daughter. but i just had him help me out alot like feed her let him hold her and play with her while i did other stuff. even throw away her diapers. he was happy because he got to help out with his little sister. and i just explained to him that his sister cant do anything for herself so i had to do it, the same way i did with him when he was a little baby like her. it helped alot. although he is still a little jealous when it comes to her he still loves her and helps her do things. he even shares with her now. i dont know if you hae tried that (you probably have ) but thats what worked with them. i dont know your kids so there is not much advice i can give you. but, good luck.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I am not trying to be rude in what I say.

I was jealous of my little brother because he got all the attention. Now I don't care. I mean, it's like ten years later, but... I grew out of it. For the time being, you might have to live with it.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but it's my advice.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think sibling rivalry begins at a very early age!

My boy/girl twins are 5 months old. And although it's probably not as noticable as it would be with 3 year olds, I'm noticing that while I'm feeding one, the other watches, and then starts to cry...I'm not sure if this is just something that happens, a coinencidence or if it is early signs of sibling rivalry. I've noticed that it seems as though my daughter, Laughlin, is having the most problem with these small situations.

I've heard from other parents of twins that same sex twins are often closer while younger, but rivalry breaks out as they grow older and develop, usually very different personalities. Where as boy/girl twins have small rivalries while younger but become closer as they mature...hmmmmm!

Good luck!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane
Neophyte
Member # 1998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
boy, what to say about this. It's a tough one, but I have to agree that it's just a natural stage, and it sounds like you're doing everything right. Letting them be involved is great, so long as it's always made to feel like fun, not a chore.

I have 3 children, all girls, 6, 7 and 8 years old respectively. I'm divorced, and I notice that when my kids visit their dad, he makes the oldest be in charge and dumps a lot of responsibility on her. She gets resentful of it when it's presented that way. Of course they are much older than what you are dealing with.

They will go through stages. Think about your own childhoods.. I know my older sister was jealous when I was born, she grew out of it and we got along great, then we hit teenagehood and went through it all over again. It's just stages of regular growth and change.

Posts: 1 | From: Bellingham, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Activist
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea you guys are right I guess that it is just normal for them but the thing is why I am worried is that while I was growing up me and my identical twin sister are the oldests of a family of 8 kids and we were never jealous we always loved our brothers and sisters although they were all much younger then us we still helped and took alot of responsability for them...but I guess it is normal for them but I loved growing up loving all my sisters and brothers it made things soo nice...anyways I hope they grow out of it although I know they will grow back into it...lol anyways BYE!

------------------
Love,Taylor and Family
(Ashleigh,Skyler,Denzel)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Taylor!

You have an identical twin sister AND boy/girl twins?

I have a twin brother and boy/girl twins!

lol, I'm seeing a pattern here!!!

A nurse also told me that once someone has twins without the use of fertility drugs, they have a 75% chance of having ANOTHER set of twins! Kinda crazy huh!?

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Activist
Member # 1598

that is cool but I knew that considering after me my mom had two more sets of twins hence the 8 kids...lol geeeee I can;t wait god if I have another set of twins I will have 5 kids in only 3 shots!

------------------
Love,Taylor and Family
(Ashleigh,Skyler,Denzel)

fuzzhead29
Activist
Member # 532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fuzzhead29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Taylor, I'm not a parent, but here's my experience. Don't let the younger baby bother the older kids. My younger sister would pull my hair and such when she was younger, and have tantrums, and get away with it all. I still resent that.
Posts: 50 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.