Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » What You Won't Learn in Childbirth Class

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What You Won't Learn in Childbirth Class
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my list of things they don't teach in childbirth class, but should, taken from my own experience. Hope it brings a smile or two

1. Maternity clothes are tools of the Devil. A big stretchy panel on the front of your pants. Macaroni-and-Cheese-Orange pantyhose. Nightgowns with big slits in the front that do nothing for coverage. And some of the ugliest bras you've ever seen outside your grandma's dresser drawer. Get used to the 'grandpa pants', because you'll be wearing them directly under your breasts until your baby comes. These, my friends, are what you should be shown when you're being taught abstinence in Health class. They're more effective than anything you'll ever hear.

2. When you're pushing, sometimes your baby's head isn't the only thing that comes out. Imagine; downward pressure on your bowels as the baby moves southward. Play with a Play-Doh Fun Factory, learn all about extrusion, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

3. Newborn babies sometimes arrive complete with an impressive blanket of hair on their back and shoulders. Like those guys you sometimes see on the beach who you think are wearing sweaters.

4. Newborn baby heads are more moldable than clay. You may find yourself holding a little miniature Conehead. Or someone with a high ridge running down the center of their head. Don't worry; these go away within the first week or two. It's a great chance to try out all those adorable baby hats you've no doubt gathered in the last few months.

5. Modesty and Childbirth aren't very good friends. Towards the end, Childbirth gets so whiny and annoying that Modesty goes on vacation for a while. This is especially helpful if you're breastfeeding; sometimes the nurses will manually help your baby latch on.

6. You'll be amazed at how high your cervix seems when a doctor with big hands is checking it. Apparently, mine is located somewhere between my sinuses and my tonsils.

7. Remember all that lung capacity you lost in the last 40 weeks? It comes back quickly and is one of the strangest sensations you'll encounter.

8. Remember all that bladder capacity you lost in the last 40 weeks? It doesn't. And when you're laying in bed, sometimes you aren't aware that the tank is full. Be sure to remind yourself to get up at least once every three hours. You don't want to have to call the mop-and-bucket lady into the bathroom doorway. Believe me, I know.

9. You'll be told that it is not pain you'll feel during childbirth, it's pressure. This is true in the same way a tornado might be called an aircurrent.

10. At all costs, avoid mirrors after you have your baby. That's a surprise best left for the safety and security of your own home.

11. You may not fall in love with your baby at first sight. This can take a while for some women, and is perfectly normal and acceptable. Your baby, however, will. Prepare to feel more needed and adored than you have in your life.

12. Babies sleep more than you think. Don't always feel pressured to do the same. Not tired? Do something for yourself. Bathing will turn into an immesurable joy.

13. Remember those periods you missed during your pregnancy? They're back. And they've brought friends.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That made me smile
It's amazing what they don't teach you.. you should become an honest midwife I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it!

entropie

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, brava.

Aria, that was utterly fantastic. Would you like to publish that as an article on the site itself? I'd love to include it.

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie I really need a laugh ...

That was amazing ... I especially like the last one hehe Almsot makes me want a baby ... LOL

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz Scarlet, that'd be wonderful. Just let me know what I have to do
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aria, that was great!

One of the advantages of birthing classes is you get to see movies of childbirth. So I got to faint there, rather then on the delivery room floor.

------------------
All paper clips are born free, but they live in chains

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah... that's cute

I have to disagree with you a little on the maternity clothes stuff though. I found this awesome little maternity store - and i bought some really cool stuff. I didn't fall for that "maternity pants" hubbub... i just wore my regular pants UNDER my bulging tummy. WAY more comfortable.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was great! Funny, true and well written!!

Thanx!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Activist
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was great and oh so true...emagine having twins lol it is no peice of cake take that no bathing rule and apply it to twins it is horrible if one is sleeping the other is wide awake...it is exhausting but worth it lol that was great...

------------------
Love,Taylor and Family
(Ashleigh,Skyler,Denzel)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness, I just about peed my pants (another thing that comes after childbrith, you pee your pants, trust me, I am too embarrassed to go into walmart even again! lol!)

That was great Aria.

Bumping it up so others can read it!

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got that in my Email, and now I know where it came from originally. Well written!
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 4 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump!
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.