Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » how old are they?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how old are they?
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just wanted to know (for those that have children) how old are they? i have a 31/2 year ols and a 1 year old(nov 19) and i dont know what to do about my son. he is still not completely potty trained. i asked the doctors what to do and toddler advice sites. they all say just to wait. well that is not helping. what do i do. can anyone help me with this?????
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try http://parentsinfo.sympatico.ca

even though you're not in canada, it's chock-full of info and advice for moms.

to get a mom-to-mom point of view, try the mammas at hipmama.com

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My twins will be 5 months old on Novemeber 17th! It seems like much longer!

I'm not sure what advice to offer you about the potty training bit. The sites Negitive Nancy recomended are really great.

I've seen a few books out that are actually for the child, not the parent, explaining how it's "grown up" to use the potty etc. I've even seen a few that come with rewards like stickers, for when the child uses the potty. I'm not sure how well they work, as I've never tried them but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

[This message has been edited by Skittles (edited 09 November 2000).]

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive read alot about this. he will "pee" in the potty all the time but he wont "poop" these are his words. anyway, i have tried the rewards and everthing i dont know what else to do. it is hard to put him in school. which is why he is not there. but o well maybe my daughter will be easier. i hope!!!

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was this REALLY great book for kids about using the potty... it had a red cover... but I can't remember what it's called.

Does he know why he won't poop in the potty? Are you using a small plastic potty instead of the toilet?

hmmh... i don't know what else to ask. If you find something that works, let me know so i can try to use it on mine when he's potty-training age.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the name of a book with a red cover for kids called "Once Upon A Potty" There were 2, one for boys and one for girls.

The book was a story but basically explained all the body parts with illustrations, cute ones, not vulger. It explained what a potty was, how to use it, why it was grown up to use it. Why it was important to use it, how it was okay to have acidents sometimes and how proud the parents of the child in the story were when he actually used the potty.

I remember reading the story to my nephew a few years ago. Anyway, I'm sure there a lot of good books out there. Which ones have you tried? There has to be something your son can relate to.

Good luck

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Activist
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I have a set of 3 year old twins and a 3 month old boy (I have a G/B set)ayways I found that when my twins were learning to use the potty it helped if I gave them a reward afterwards...it may sound a bit on the wrong side but my twins learned to use the potty in 1.5 weeks and they have been using it ever since and I bought a doll that had it's own little potty and when they went so did the doll...ummm it was the hardest for my son but I just got him a book and read it to him...I told him that all big boys use the potty when they can...make sure to tell him that a few accidents are ok and nothing to be scared of...I also had them in training pants you know those pull up diapers and told them that if they tried their hardest to use the potty that they could wear big kid underwear and bought them each a pack of underwaer that appield to them my daughter picked these flaurecent ones and my sons had trucks on them soo that they would have something to look forward too when they stoped wearing diapers and it worked pretty well now I think that when your son is ready that he will use the potty but untill then make it a fun thing to do...

------------------
Love,Taylor and Family
(Ashleigh,Skyler,Denzel)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

the problem is i already tried all of that stuff the rewards the pull-ups and alot of other stuff. i even had his little cousin (a girl) that is the same age to try and get him to poop in the potty. he usually does everything she does. and that didnt work either. im just lost! owell my mom told me to not worry about it, and the first time he does it in school he will get laughed at and never do it again. (she got that advice from a friend wiht the same problem) it seems mean but that may be the only way. thanx all for the replies and suggestions.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.