Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Teen Pregnancy and parenting Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teen Pregnancy and parenting Books
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hot mamas!

In doing work on our booklist today, I found some books that might be of interest to you, so I thought I'd toss'em out.

Annie's baby :the diary of Anonymous, a pregnant teenager
by Beatrice Sparks

Discipline from Birth to Three: How Teen Parents Can Prevent & Deal with Discipline Problems with Babies & Toddlers
by Jeanne Warr Lindsay

Your Pregnancy & Newborn Journey: A Guide for Pregnant Teens
by Jeanne Warren Lindsay

Surviving Teen Pregnancy: Your Choices, Dreams, & Decisions
by Shirley M. Arthur

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 18 October 2000).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that "birthing from within" was a really good book from some of the girls at girlmom.com. It's not teenage specific, but maybe worthwhile to look at.
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While a lot of people seem to like "What To Expect When Your Expecting" I didn't think it was all that good.

My friend Jessica, at 7 months had some back pain, what pregnancy doesn't!? She looked it up in the book where it suggested it could be one of 436546324 different fatal diseases, which of course had her scared out of her mind.

I just said "Jessica, take that book, put it on the shelf and forget about it. If you that worried, go to the doctor"

So yeah, in conclusion I rate that book pretty low! lol

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to agree with you there, Skittles. It didn't help me at all, and I resented the constant use of the word "husband". Many, many women who have babies don't have husbands. They have life partners, boyfriends, girlfriends, and a lot of the time, no-one.

The book I couldn't have gotten through my pregnancy without was The Birth Book by Willian Sears. It talks about birthing as a personal experience, and has everything you'd ever want to know about childbirth in it in frank, easy to understand language. Not really a teenage-girl specific book, but a wonderful book for any pregnant woman, IMHO.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the books listed above are simple minded and dull. I dislike them all. Annies Baby is fale, degrading and upsetting. The other too contain good information, if you read at a 5th grade level.

Birthing from Within IS great...it is all about empowerment and joy. What to Expect stinks for ANY mother of ANY age.

I am working on my own book, and on several compliations, which are designed for young mothers without talking down to them or insulting their choices.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn!! Typos much? I was typing that at work, trying to hide it from my boss. I swear I am not THAT dense. I normally proof-read like crazy! EEK!
Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.