Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Lunette (menstrual cup) and the stem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunette (menstrual cup) and the stem?
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

This is about my third complete cycle with my Lunette. In general, I LOVE the menstrual cup! However, I do notice that the stem irritates me a bit, because when I first put it in it pokes out a bit. Not enough to touch my underwear, but enough that it moves around throughout the day and scratches against the part just inside (which is one of the more sensitive areas!)

I haven't trimmed the stem yet because sometimes the cup rides up inside my vagina (even while sleeping), and I eventually need the stem to wiggle it down a little so I can pinch the base.

What would you guys suggest? I am afraid to trim the stem because I don't want it to become way harder to get out, and then have to order another $60 cup, which I can't really afford right now. However, the stem does cause quite a bit of discomfort and itchiness for the first hour or so of wear.

On a totally different topic, what kind of reusable pads do you guys use? I want to buy some to go with my cup on heavy days [Smile]

Thanks Scarleteen!

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kabith,

One thing to try (if you haven't) is experimenting with a new insertion position for the cup. I know from using mine that coming from a certain angle gets it immediately to a point where the stem isn't rubbing.

As for pads, I use lunapads, and am so far really happy with them (I find them comfy and easy to use). I haven't used other brands, so I can't really speak to the comparison, but hopefully some of our other users have and can share their experiences.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try doing a little dance / hip wiggle right after insertion, so that the cup will reach its 'sweet spot' sooner. The place where it goes to when it rides up is probably the place where it wants to sit naturally.

I'm afraid I can't help with your other question: I don't use any pads. Just my cup.

Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the menstrual cup, definitely trying different positions is the first thing, like Sam suggested [Smile] For me (mind, I have a Mooncup not a Lunette), there was no position that wasn't "wow no, OW" with the stem at its original length, and I think most people do need to trim it down some distance. If there's no position that works out for you with the original length, then try and see if you can remove the cup using only some and not all of the length of the stem - that should give you the confidence to cut a little off. If you need some stem in order to remove the cup, then you only need as much stem as is necessary for you to get a grip of. If you do end up cutting the stem, go with a cautiously small amount, because there's no limit on the number of times you can cut a little bit off and you can't stick bits back on [Smile] (I ended up having cut very nearly the entire stem off mine because that's what worked for me and my body, but that was still a gradual progression.)

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! I am trying to do some yoga sequences after insertion when I have the time, and that seems to help too.

Sam- what do you mean by that? Like, standing with a leg on the toilet instead of sitting on the toilet?

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Also, thanks Redskies! That is super helpful [Big Grin]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kabith: and I'm betting that yep, that's what Sam means. In fact, I'd say personally that it is probably hardest for most people to try and insert anything when sitting on the toilet.

Pad-wise, I am the hugest fan of the Lunapanties Lunapads makes. Less so, sadly, now that we have a puppy who finds them and thinks they are delicious (including when they are brand new and have never been used!), as they are a very expensive chew toy, but still.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Heather: Haha, I don't know, I always had the easiest time inserting tampons while sitting on the toilet and spreading my legs XD So that's just how I started doing the cup. But I'll try the other way, and see what's what. Are there any other ways, other than those two?

I've heard of the Lunapads, so I'll definitely look into that! How long do they last (when there isn't a puppy around?) [Wink]

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Heather got at what I meant. I know when I started I did the same thing you did and tried to insert it like a tampon. But the standing with the leg up on something tends to work much better [Smile]
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you care for them properly, fabric pads are very long-lasting - I have a few that are nearly ten years old and still in okay condition. (Obviously they get stained, so they're not as pristine-looking as they were when new, but still perfectly useable.) I'll second Heather's recommendation of Lunapanties, too: I find them perfect to wear with my cup.

Per inserting the cup, I find it easiest to stand with my legs about hip-width apart, knees bent, and just tilt my pelvis forward a little. So, if the one leg up on the toilet doesn't work for you, that's another option.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Thanks you guys! I totally forgot to try the other position this last time (habit I guess), but I did trim a little tiny bit off the bottom, and I already feel a ton of relief. I also did some kegel exercises and a little dance, which seemed to help. I guess I'll see if I can get it out in the morning [Wink]

Thanks again for the tips!

Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Whoah, another question about Lunapanties- what kind do you get to couple with the cup? I notice some slight leakage on my heavy days, or days where I am very physically active. A pantyliner usually sees me though, but there have been a few times where I needed to change my pantyliner during a long shift at work on a heavy day.

There seems to be three categories: everyday-light, light, and moderate-heavy. What do you guys use?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.