Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » ovulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ovulation
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to pull up the article called "on the rag: a guide for menstruation" but it says the article does not exist.
Posts: 56 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's right here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/on_the_rag_a_guide_to_menstruation

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I read the article. I'm still a little bit unclear about the discharge phases and the dry wet dry phases..
Posts: 56 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you still unclear on?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Uncooked egg white consistency discharge, thicker and pasty discharge, white discharge.. Which discharge would indicate ovulation? I keep track of my periods but now I want to start keeping track of when i ovulate by checking my discharge.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you need clarity with?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is not any one kind of discharge that tells you that, but charting, over time,and seeing the pattern of all of them and when they happen.

Generally, there will be a dry phase, or one of thick discharge, then a thin, eggwhite discharge, followed by a thicker discharge. When you have that pattern, that is when you can generally know you were ovulating during that time of thin, clear discharge.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. Cause today I checked and it was a white discharge.
Heather
Member # 3

Charting is something you have to do for at least a few months, daily, in order to have enough patterns to analyze. It is not something you can only do every now and then, or just one day and get useful information from.

So, maybe today is your day you start charting. Then, after doing it daily for at least a few cycles, you can start to analyze.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Just curious if a woman becomes pregnant within her cycle would she still have discharge resembling ovulation?
Heather
Member # 3

Is this about you?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

No. Just was something I always wondered about.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, being pregnant does not mean people do not get discharges anymore, including some that can look like fertile mucus.

But again, it is the pattern of when these discharges happen that really gives us information. And the daily charting for someone pregnant looks very different than the charting from someone who is not.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. My sister was pregnant and throughout the beginning of her pregnancy she had bleeding something she thought was her period, could it gave been desidual bleeding? This occurred throughout her first trimester but only lasted 2-3 days with very light bleeding..
Heather
Member # 3

Vaginal bleeding can happen for a host of reasons during a pregnancy. What hers was is really something that she and her OB could have determined for sure, if they could at all.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

She can't recall what she told her. And thanks for the information. In sex Ed they talk about the vagina but they never really go into depth. So now I'm just trying to read up and get some information clarified
Heather
Member # 3

Well, this is sex ed right here, thousands of pages of it!

So, you can read all about vaginas to your heart's delight. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. Thnx bunches. [Smile]
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Quick question.. When women breast become tender a few days before the start of their period does ovulation have something to do with the breast being tender?
Heather
Member # 3

A few days before a period, no one is going to be ovulating, or else a period would not be coming in a few days.

However, breast tenderness is a typical PMS symptom many people experience before or with periods, most likely due to the progesterone decrease happening around that time.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. So when ovulation is over how many days later could a last expect get period? I know it varied from one person to the next.
Heather
Member # 3

On average, for most people, usually around two weeks after ovulation is when menstruation happens, as we explain in the menstruation piece you read.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

That would be the same for women with regular and irregular periods right?
Heather
Member # 3

Well, obviously not, because someone with irregular periods...well, has irregular periods.

I feel like we've been dancing around something here, I gotta say. The kind of urgency you've been posting with with this stuff just sounds like more than a passing curiosity to me.

Is this about a pregnancy concern you currently have?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

No. I use birth control whenever I engage in any sexual activity. I know no form of birth control is 100% but I/we make sure to use it exactly as the label says. Yesterday I understand you said I wouldn't be able to tell straight off the back if I'm ovulating if i just started checking for cervical mucus which means i probably wouldn't be able to tell what stage I'm in. If a menstruation usually occurs 14 days after ovulation that would mean that pretty much after the LMP goes off ovulation begins a few days later..
Heather
Member # 3

Wait, hold up: are you saying you use a hormonal method of birth control?

If so, know none of this ovulation/fertility cycle information is relevant to you. All of that is ONLY relevant for people NOT using hormonal methods.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Condoms and Plan B when needed. But i have decided that sex isn't for me and that I'm better off waiting. Mentally I'm not ready.
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Condoms plus withdrawal way before ejaculation and EC if needed
Heather
Member # 3

Gotcha. A lot of the time when our users say they use birth control they mean hormonal methods,. so thought I'd check. [Smile]

But like I said before, if you want to add charting to any of this -- or do it regardless of having sex or not -- you really just need to start doing it daily, do it for a few months, and then start evaluating.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. There's times my menstruation may come on day 28 or it may completely skip a month and I worry about why it hasn't come on and panic cause I might be pregnant even if it's been a few months since I've did anything but nite I understand it has to do with ovulation and stress and some other factors. Can having sex effect your periods? Because one month I will get my period when i expect it then the next it'll come on a day that's past the days I would expect it to cone on.
Heather
Member # 3

No, sex, of any kind, is not likely to change your cycles. If you're stressed out about it though, that stress -- or more to the point, the way you do or do not manage it -- sure can.

However, as again, that piece you read explained, menstrual cycles do standardly deviate by at least a day or two (if not more) for most people, pretty often. And skipping periods also sometimes happens, especially when you're younger. A cycle that is the exact same number of days long for years, or even just for a few months, is unusual and not something anyone should expect will tend to happen.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. Thnx a lot. It felt like I had been holding that in forever.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.