Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Feeling emotions in our bodies as well as minds.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling emotions in our bodies as well as minds.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in your body do you feel your feelings?

Emotions—such as happiness, sadness, anger, fear, et cetera—don’t just happen in our minds. They affect our bodies too.

People often talk about the physical impacts of stress or anxiety, but most of us will feel the physical impact—even if we don’t recognize it—of a wide variety of emotions, not just the negative ones

We’re often taught, I think, to not pay attention to how our bodies feel

However, paying attention and understanding the way emotions feel in our individual bodies---those reactions and sensations will be different for each of us--can give us useful information.

I’ve noticed, for example, many folks here talking about how stressed or scared they feel, worrying about the physical symptoms they’re having, and not making a connection between those stressful thoughts and those physical sensations.

Making that connection between mental and physical expressions of emotion helps us understand ourselves better and feel less worried by what’s happening in our bodies.

Recognizing how positive feelings express themselves physically can let us enjoy the good things our bodies have to tell us too.

Do you feel like you’re aware of what your body has to tell you about how you’re feeling?

If so what sensations have you noticed in your body when feeling different emotions? If not, how do you think you could become more aware of this connection between your mind and body?

When thinking about this, people tend to think only about negative emotions; let’s make sure we talk about positive emotions, like happiness, relief or excitement, too.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A short list:

-butterflies in my stomach when I talk to someone I'm into or admire

-weight lifting off my shoulders when I reveal something / accomplish something I've been putting off

-a general sense of myself extending beyond my body when I feel joy or think very deeply

-gut reactions (in the stomach)

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have IBS, so I definitely feel my emotions in my body... D: I'll limit the ick-factor, but it seems that my fight-or-flight response consists of:
Brain: OMGPANIC
Body: Let's remove all the excess body-contents immediately!
Me: *in bathroom for an obscenely long, uncomfortable amount of time*

Besides those, I feel positive emotions in various places:
If I'm almost euphorically happy, I get somewhat dizzy-feeling, like some people do before they cry, but I don't cry.
If I'm relieved about something, I also get the weight lifted off shoulders thing!
If I'm excited about something, I get tingly-gut feelings, butterflies in my stomach and arms, for some reason, and if I'm anticipating something with some amount of fear, like a test, I also have a resurgence of IBS issues. >.< Generally, though, I can force myself to ignore the negative parts of that response, and that makes it better.

I've also found a placebo effect: if I'm having stomach-issues, I can do something highly enjoyable but which requires great concentration, or which is very physical, like biking or painting, and the concentration/endorphins help to relieve my stomach troubles and also to make whatever I was worried about seem less bothersome.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.