Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Weird pregnancies!! :p

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird pregnancies!! :p
Frenchiex
Neophyte
Member # 96381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchiex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to start by saying thank you so much for everything scarleteen- you are the best site in the world and you guys help so many of us even when we're stressing you're so patient! [Smile]

So I'll get to it, I've heard more than once about these women (in magazines, newspapers, online) who have suddenly out of nowhere got pain, went to the hospital and been told they were pregnant. And then thats it! They have the baby, and Im left thinking what the hell?! How did they not know they were pregnant?! One woman was still on the pill!
It really scares me! [Frown] Im using condoms and the pill but really? They had no clue! No pregnancy at all?! Just "By the way youre having a baby now.. here it is."
That terrifies me. What IS this?
Any information you guys have about this to put my mind slightly at ease would be appreciated!

--------------------
T.T.French

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchiex
Neophyte
Member # 96381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchiex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I should clarify that "pain" was then the early stages of child birth and they then had the baby. Like straight away. They only find out when they give birth!

--------------------
T.T.French

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that's important to keep in mind is that stories about this sort of thing, especially when found online, don't have to be actually true (or unembellished) for someone to present them as truth. "Reality" tv shows have a ton of scripted content; the focus is on what will attract viewers, not what's accurate. So I certainly wouldn't look to this sort of media to provide something that's accurate.

People may say they didn't know they were pregnant because they felt that they'd get in trouble for being sexually active, because they were sexually assaulted, because they don't feel like they can face the reality of being pregnant enough to test for it or really acknowledge it.

But I would say the idea of someone being unaware of their pregnancy up until the time they give birth is at best extremely rare and probably paired with some serious health or mental health issues, and most likely a story with a lot of embellishments or fabrication.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchiex
Neophyte
Member # 96381

I read one about a woman who had already had a son, was with her partner, on the pill, and then got off the toilet and her partner had to deliver the baby! (This was in a magazine so it was like her telling the story) and I was like whuttt?! XD why would she make that up? Especially when she presented a happy home life.
I dunno, I just thought it was really weird for there to be NO signs.

Thank you very much for your reply [Smile]

--------------------
T.T.French

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find that you tend to worry a lot about pregnancy or not knowing you're pregnant, I would recommend you just stay away from that sort of story. We can't really know all of the details from that sort of situation, no matter who's narrating events, but we can know that actually being unaware that you are pregnant is extremely unlikely.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.