Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » brown period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: brown period
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked around online a lot, figuring there'd be a simple answer for this, but I couldn't find anything pertinent. I found some websites about brown discharge or old blood or some brown blood at the beginning of one's period, etc. but that's all.

It's been two days and my period has been brown this whole time. Still reddish, but much more brown than usual. Everything else has been normal; amount of flow and all that. And it's definitely my period.

Information that is unlikely relevant but just in case: I went off the NuvaRing slightly over a month ago, had my period right away, then went back on it yesterday (the same day my next period started, as the prescription instructed). This means I'm pretty sure this is the first period I have had as a result of ovulation in a couple of years - I've been on the NuvaRing, and thus either had my period without ovulation or simply skipped my period, for quite awhile. Could that have anything to do with it?
(Though for the first 5 years of having my period I was not on birth control and it certainly wasn't brown)

Anyway, let me know if any of you have any idea what's going on (could iron levels have to do with it?) or if it's no big deal.

Oh! Something else that might be randomly relevant: I started Concerta last week for the first time in several years, and I believe it's been making me kind of dehydrated.

Thanks!

[ 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Lilerse ]

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's absolutely normal and not at all unusual for period blood to sometimes be a bit darker than usual. So, I'd not go looking for explanations for this, since this isn't anything super wierd.

That said, it wouldn't be surprising if your periods/withdrawal bleeds were a bit wierd for the next couple of months, given that you've stopped the Ring and then started it back up.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, now suddenly, after my period's ben over for several days (and had started NINE days ago), I went to the bathroom and there was blood. None on my underwear, but a lot when I wiped. And this time bright red. What on earth is going on????

(note: my guy fingered me about half an hour before this; could it be a cut that I just didn't feel/didn't hurt??)

Addition: no blood came out when being fingered, but my guy said it "smelled different."

[ 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Lilerse ]

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said earlier, quitting the Nuva Ring and
th en starting it back up again can cause some irregular bleeding. So, I'd not be too concerned about this right now. But if this has you worried, you can also give your doctor a call.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.