Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Scared it might be a serious illness...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared it might be a serious illness...
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Icon 9 posted      Profile for hottie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is the story. Back in July I went through a month-long UTI that was finally cured with Septra. Cut to know, about 6 months later and about 2 weeks ago I started having frequent urination again. I thought it was due to anxiety, but a week later it hadn't gone away so I went to the urologist. He tested for everything urological and found nothing wrong: no infection, nothing in blood work, nothing in sonogram. Basically nothing wrong with my kidneys or bladder. I've now been referred to my gynecologist and I'm terrified. I've been reading online about how it may be ovarian cancer and it scares me so much. It's strange because there's no pain, just the feeling of having a full bladder, going to the bathroom and then relief. About 1 to 2 hours later it happens again. I wonder if I could've hurt something since I started doing ab specific work outs a week before this happened. I have an appointment with my gynecologist on Monday but I needed someone to talk to because I'm so scared. I'm too afraid to even have sex with my boyfriend this weekend because it could make it worse.

I just need to get all these feelings of my chest... [Frown]

Posts: 76 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely a scary thing you're going through, and sounds pretty physically uncomfortable too. What kind of support do you have for going through this?

As scary as it is to go through tests and wait for answers, I'm really glad to hear you're getting this problem looked into.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much. My boyfriend doesn't seem to understand how much this scares me and neither does my mother, she keeps saying everything will be fine and it's probably some sort of vaginal infection.
Posts: 76 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to distract myself, but all I keep thinking is that I might die from this or that'll never be able to have children.
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

I don't know if I should just go to the hospital to see if they can figure it out, I'm sure I'll have a nervous breakdown if I have to wait until Monday....
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well whatever it is, your doctor obviously didn't think it was an immediate threat to your well-being, or else he or she wouldn't have you waiting until Monday.

As Robin said this is certainly pretty darn scary. Good luck with this!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

I haven't really talked to my gynecologist, I just called to make an appointment as soon as possible and Monday was the closest they had available.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point is that no one would likely just refer someone out, rather than get them emergency care, if they suspected they had a serious, life-threatening illness.

If the healthcare provider you saw thought you needed to go to the ER, they would have sent you there, I assure you.

You're really leaping to the furthest-flung possibility here, one that is highly unlikely, especially for a young person. So, I'd wait until Monday and try to relax, but if you truly feel like you are going to have a breakdown about this, then you might also want to see if you can't get some mental healthcare soon, or in the interim, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Just to let you know I went to my gynecologist today, she did a pelvic, PAP and intra-vaginal sonogram. Everything is fine as far as she can tell, so we don't know what the cause is. She did find what she thinks is a small cyst on one of my breasts, one I hadn't noticed before when I do self-checks. She said it's probably nothing to worry about and sent me to get a sonomamogram done, so I'm kind of nervous about that now...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you tell this doctor about the level of anxiety you were having about your health?

That really is important: having strong, persistent anxiety and fear like you're voicing here and have before is often itself a condition that needs evaluating and treating.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

I did. I'm not typically nervous about my health, I'm actually quite easy going. But when a doctor starts telling me it might be something serious or they can't really figure out what's going on, then I get really anxious. I've been seeing a psychologist on campus for a while to deal with some other issues and I've told her about my anxiety, but so far she doesn't think it's anything serious enough to need medication. Mostly I practice meditation and relaxation techniques.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How have the meditation techniques been working for you? Anxiety is tough to deal with, and can get tougher when the stress level is higher (as in when there is something going on you don't have immediate answers to).

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

They've been working, particularly for sleeping which is what I had the most trouble with. I practice breathing, listen to soothing music and take natural supplements like orange flower water that helps with relaxation right before bed.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

So now it's a matter of keeping the anxiety under control while you get your health concerns investigated. We talked above about what kind of support you're getting around this. I think you indicated it wasn't very much. What kind of support do you get around your anxiety in general?

--------------------
Robin

hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

My mom doesn't help very much. She think anxiety is something that can be easily controlled. Like, she doesn't understand how hard it is to go to sleep sometimes, she's just like: "It's easy, you close your eyes and go to sleep." So I just don't tell her when I'm feeling very anxious. My boyfriend is more helpful, he helps me calm down with massages or just by making smile and relax.
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any literature that you can give to your mother to explain to her that anxiety that she may feel in her day and anxiety that someone with an anxiety disorder may feel is very different? Have you had a conversation with her in which you explain that these feelings really aren't something you can just turn off with a flick of a switch?

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.