Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » An answer would be a great help :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An answer would be a great help :)
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I was online looking at some ways to help my period pain I came across this statement-
(this is not about period pain remedies btw)

Don't use tampons, as well as being very bad for vaginal health many tampons are also made in such a way that they expand lengthways meaning that they can expand straight into your cervix, which is already delicate due to menstruation, and increase cramping. Tampons are also VERY bad for vaginal health - most women who switch from tampons to menstrual cups, pads or free-flow find their menstrual cramps and menstrual flow significantly lessen. Commercial pads are also best avoided because as well as also being bad for vaginal health they are generally uncomfortable so hardly help with menstrual cramps. If you use these options consider other options such as; rubber bell-shaped menstrual cups, silicone bell-shaped menstrual cups, diaphragm as menstrual cups, homemade menstrual cups, softcups, organic tampons, sponges, padettes, padded panties, organic pads, cloth pads, homemade pads, free-flow, free-flow layering, free-flow instinctive, extraction, toilet paper, period blankets, etc.

I would to know if tampons are actually bad for vaginal health etc please [Smile] thanks <3

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you read that, but almost every statement made in that paragraph is really unsound.

There are some concerns with tampons, namely environmental concerns (same with any disposably method), TSS concerns -- which are more about just using them properly -- and some issues that involve tampons potentially causing some extra cramping, but not because of expanding into the cervix. The cervical opening is much, much too small for that.

Rather, the issue with tampons and cramping, when there is an issue, is about tampons pulling fluid from the vagina, which cause extra dryness and some reflexive muscle cramping.

To boot, the statement that pads being uncomfortable doesn't help with menstrual cramps is...well, it makes no sense. Menstrual cramping is about the muscles of and around the uterus: what's in someone's underpants externally isn't going to have anything to do with that.

But before you leap any further with this, why don't we talk about the level of pain you have been having with your periods, and for how long it's been going on? If you use tampons and otherwise like using them, I don't see any need to assume your pain is about them right off the bat, and certainly not based on poorly informed bits like that paragraph up there.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, its not severe just umcomfortable so i was seeing if i could find any natural methods of relief like herbal tea etc, tbh i use tampons and saw that, it sounded a lil stupid but i was simply concerned about the poor vaginal health bit thats all, [Smile]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of going to places like Yahoo Answers for answers like this, why not start with a healthcare provider? We can talk with you, too, and at least you can check credibility here, but also talking to a healthcare provider is even better since they can sit down with you, get your whole health history and assess if the pain you're experiencing is something you need to worry about or not. They can also tell you more, in person, about the safety of various options with menstrual flow.

So, the cramps you're having, though: they sound pretty normal, eh? Nothing like very severe pain where you can't do anything else, or where something like a hot bath or a simple analgesic -- like an ibuprofen or aspirin -- doesn't do a pretty good job of making you feel better?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.