Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Tampons... Ick. HELP.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tampons... Ick. HELP.
GreenChic96
Neophyte
Member # 47927

Icon 4 posted      Profile for GreenChic96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you properly pull out a tampon? Every time I do, it hurts SO BAD; what the hoopla am I doing wrong?!
Posts: 11 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it hurts to pull out the tampon, it may be because the tampon is too dry; which would be caused by either a) wearing the tampon for too short of a time for it to be fully saturate with blood, or b) using a tampon of an absorbency that is too great for your flow at that time. When you take out the tampon, is there a lot of white left on it? If so, one of the above is likely the cause. There is no "right" way to pull out a tampon; simply grab hold of the string and pull lightly. The tampon should come right out without any pain. However if you have only been using tampons for a while, it may simply be that your body is getting used to the sensation; however that is not likely. There is lots of information on proper tampon insertion or removal on the pamphlet that comes inside of the box, or on the website of any tampon manufacturer. You can also ask your gynecologist about this as he or she would be far better informed than I am, and you can meet with them in person. I caution you; I am not a doctor, and my advice is not medical advice; only information gained in my own personal use of tampons; if the problem persists, I'd suggest asking your gynecologist about it. Also, some women just don't find that one particular type of protection works for them, so if tampons aren't something that work for you, or that you desire to use, that is perfectly alright. (Also, I found that when I first began using tampons, it took me a while to get used to using them.) Best of luck!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one thing to add - are you pulling the tampon straight down? If so, that could be another reason you're feeling pain. You should pull the tampon out at the same angle you put it in: in toward the small of your back, out kind of upward. Makes sense?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsy-craftsy
Neophyte
Member # 61094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsy-craftsy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me too - it's usually when it's NOT dry, though. Is it because it gets too big?
Posts: 11 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try using a lower absorbency tampon then, and changing it more often.

Too? You can always apply a little lubricant when removing tampons to make it easier, just like you can to make insertion easier.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.