Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Mood Swings from BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mood Swings from BC
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been taking Solia for about eight months now, and it's generally been alright. When I go on my placebo pills for a week I can sometimes get a bit moody like I used to before I took the pills, but it only lasts a day or two. However, I have become quite a bit more sensitive than I was before I started taking them. I get upset over things that I wouldn't have normally gotten upset about, and I definitely cry a lot easier. I've found that I remain pretty level in regards to my moods most of the time, but when something upsets me, it REALLY upsets me, in kind of an all or nothing way. My stress level generally hasn't changed since I started taking them in January, although when I do get temporarily stressed out over a school assignment, I find my emotional reaction is blown much more out of proportion than it used to.

I know that mood swings and being more emotional are oftentimes side-effects associated with birth control pills, but shouldn't the moodiness have gone away by now because I've been taking them for a while? At times I don't even feel like my old self because of how emotional my reactions to some things are, and I feel totally irrational. I don't like crying as often as I do, and I feel bad for having my boyfriend put up with it. He's been very understanding, and knows that it's because of the pill, but he says sometimes my moods change so rapidly it's like whiplash.

Should I consider trying a different pill, or would it not make much of a difference? If I don't switch, is there anything I can do to try and help with the moodiness?

Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it has been this way for the 8 months you have been on it, it's not likely to change anytime soon. So if you feel that this is really impacting your life, you'll want to talk to your gynecologist about switching you to a different brand of the pill. Our bodies tend to react differently to the slightly different combinations of hormones, so chances are good that you won't react this way to all brands of the pill. It may take some trial and error, though, until you find the one that is right for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_thing
Activist
Member # 52326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you. If I switch to a new pill but stay on the same schedule I have now (as in, switch and not miss any pills), will it still take time for the new pill to become effective?
Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. If you are still using the pill and switch on the first day your new pack would be you're covered.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.