Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Yeast Infection issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Infection issues
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started taking birth control, I've been more prone than before to yeast infections (that is, I never even once had one before I started, and increased to 3-4 a year after)

About a month ago, I went to a gynecologist to get my pill changed (other reasons- the ortho cyclean was making me spot). I told her about the frequency, and when she looked, she said that I had one then, and that i must have just gotten used to having it. She says that I may have gotten resistant to the diflucan my primary care doctor gave me. she thinks that because of it, my infection never went away, even when i thought it was gone.

I had been having some minor itching, but I thought that had been because I had shaved recently. She gave me some terconazole suppositories, and i used them. However, they didn't get rid of the itching on my labia.

I called my doctor after about a week, and che called in a clotrimazole/betamethasone lotion to apply externally.

When I talked to the pharmacist, I asked her if I should treat myself internally again too. She asked me if I had any unusual discharge and I said no.

However, in the last couple days, I've been wondering if I do. The discharge that i have is white, sort of lotion like consistency. It is not clumpy at all though. There is not a lot of it, just maybe about an mL a day. It smells normal. I'm not sure if this is normal discharge or not. But my labia still itches.

I'm not really sure what to do. I doubt I have enough insurance to see the gynecologist again this year. I'm also kind of scared, because if I am resistant to diflucan and the terconazole (something i'd never used before) didn't work either, I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with this forever. I've also been screened for STI's once and was examined vaginally twice since I last had partnered sex, so I don't think it could be an STI or anything. If i knew for sure there was something she could do, I could probably scrape up the extra money, but I'm really scared there's nothing my doctor can do.

What else should I do? Should I get my terconazole and clotrimazole/betamethasone refilled and use them together? Should I get one of those over the counter yeast infection tests to see if that's what this really is (incidently, the box says the test only works for women who have periods, not pregnant or menopausal women. Would it even work for someone on birth control?)

What should/can I do?

Thank you!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all of these doctor visits, have you ever had a swab done to make sure that what you have is in fact a yeast infection? If you're having itching but no unusual discharge (your discharge sounds well within the range of normal, by the way) and you're not responding to medication for yeast, then it could be that there's something else going on. Unfortunately, the best thing to do is to go back to your doctor and ask for not just a visual exam, but an actual test for the presence of yeast.

Alternatively, you could phone the doctor's office and ask if they think the over the counter tests are worthwhile, since that's certainly a cheaper option than going back in to get checked. I'd hold off for now on using any more medication until you know what it is that's going on here; in the meantime, plain aloe vera gel can be soothing and wearing loose natural fiber clothes will likely help with the discomfort.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I went to the doctor, she said she's so a test, swabbed me, left the room for a while, and came back with the prescription. So, it seemed a little fast to have results, but since she swabbed me and came back with a prescription, I assumed it came back positive.

The thing is, it's so off and on. Right now, i feel completely normal. but earlier i had a little itching on my labia just to the left of the vaginal opening. This seems to be the most problem spot, although sometimes it itches on the other side too.

I think I will call the office tomorrow and get their opinion. They can at least tell me the exact diagnosis on that last swab.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janie Jones
Neophyte
Member # 46161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janie Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note about having results from the swab quickly; your doctor probably just made a smear on a slide and looked at it under a microscope. I've done it multiple times while working for a veterinarian. Dogs get yeast infections in their ears frequently. Yeast look like little snowmen.

I've known people who had frequent yeast infections and felt that they were linked to diet and food allergies. That is another avenue you could look into, but definitely consult your doctor. I hope you get it all sorted out.

--------------------
I don't want you to settle, I want you to grow.

Posts: 21 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.