Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » SSRIs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SSRIs
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been diagnosed with low level depression since I was 12. I've been sinking a therapist this past month and she says that my depression has escalated to moderate/severe depression and has highly recommended I start medication, at least for a few months. She thinks I have a chemical deficiency in my brain. Either that, or my neurons are taking in enough serotonin. Hence the SSRI (a serotonin re uptake inhibitor) to hopefully force my brain to accept more serotonin.

At first I was very against the medication. I've always been against pills of any nature. I'll just suffer through a headache instead of taking Tylenol or Asprin. But its been a really up and down month for me mood wise. For a week straight it was very obvious and apparent that I was depressed. I didn't eat, I barely slept, I couldn't concentrate, I had three panic attacks, and I'd have to get through my day fighting against breaking down and sobbing through all my classes. Then the next week, poof, I was ok again. I was still tired and I was prone to sudden lapses in mood, but otherwise, I was pretty solidly happy.

But through that whole week I kept dreading going back to feeling the way I had the previous week. I'd go to sleep every night thinking, 'will it happen tomorrow?' and go through my days thinking at any moment I'd fall again.

I'd been doing alright again this week, but yesterday I could just feel myself slipping back again. I can't explain it, I just knew something was going to snap. And it did, and I was up until 3am having panic attacks and sobbing.

Is anyone on here taking SSRIs or antidepressants of any kind? Do they really work? I'm going to healthcare services tomorrow on my campus to meet with the doctor. At the end of the referral, I'm either coming away with the pills or not. I hate the thought of being reliant on pills, but if I can just take something and it'll make the depression and anxiety and panic attacks go away, I want to try it. I can't handle feeling like this anymore.

Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take SSRIs and they definitely help me. Sometimes if we are ill, we need medication, it is nothing to feel bad about "relying" on them. Someone with a heart that doesn't beat right needs to rely on a pacemaker or heart medications, someone with diabetes relies on insulin since their pancreas doesn't make it, and in the same way those of us with chemical imbalances in our brains often have to rely on medications to treat it.

SSRIs aren't addictive or anything, so it doesn't really hurt to try. Just keep in mind it might take trying a few to find one that works, and that they don't really start working for 2 weeks to a month.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, as someone who also is often very wary around ongoing medication, I also tend to take it pretty seriously when a doctor suggests a medication, especially when it's standard with a given illness or condition.

SSRIs work very well for many, many people. And if you have never tried them, and are having these kinds of issues and your therapist is suggesting you do try, it seems to me you're more likely to screw yourself over by not trying them than you are BY trying them. After all, if they don't wind up working for you (and like Kat said, finding that out will usually take a couple weeks to a couple months), you don't have to keep taking them, or can try something else to see if that works better.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys.

I got my first batch of pills today (Fluoxetine) and hopefully will be starting them soon. Which leads me to this: I told my sister, who then freaked out on me, said she was disappointed and angry and scared, then went and called my dad, who berated me, then called my mom who is now also freaked out and will berate me shortly. My mom doesn't want me to take them until she does her own research, but I already did all the research and made a decision. She wants me to wait to take them until she can make an informed decision. But I want to starts them ASAP.

Also, I've already asked my therapist and the doctor if this medication will alter the effectiveness of my birth control (Loestrin24Fe) and both said no or it shouldn't. Does anyone else know for sure?? This isn't something I want to figure out through trial and error.

Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SSRIs are not known to have any kind of effect on hormonal birth control.

I'm so sorry your family reacted the way they did: deciding to try medication often isn't an easy decision regardless, but their reaction certainly doesn't help. [Frown] Ultimately though, it's your decision, you have the medication and there's really nothing to prevent you from starting to take them as soon as you can.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took Fluoxetine for 18 months/2 years a few years ago. I'm not keen on taking medication unless it's necessary, and I believe that was really necessary for me. I absolutely believe that that medication got me back to a place where I could function and begin to deal with what for me were the underlying problems. I absolutely believe I couldn't've got better without it.

I'm sorry to hear your family responded like that. I wonder why your mom feels that She needs to make an informed decision, when in my opinion, it's your decision to make? I would understand someone wanting to make sure that You were making a fully informed decision, but it sounds like you've got that sorted.

I don't believe that there is anything to freak out about with taking SSRIs. If something isn't going as well as we want it to with any aspect of our health, it's a perfectly reasonable and usually very sensible reaction to take the best medical treatment there is for that. Something in our brain is, to me, really no different to the rest of our bodies.

If you did want to ask me anything about my experience with Fluoxetine, I'd be fine with that - although, of course, everyone responds very differently and may be on different dosages, so it would only be my very subjective experience that I could talk about.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I picking up on some stigma around mental illness in your family?

I ask because I can't imagine, say, a family member saying they were disappointed or angry with a diabetic who took insulin, you know?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Redskies: I know that the experience would be very subjective, but I'd still like to know some things. I've been told that for the first two weeks, I could feel pretty off because my body is getting use to the medicine. What were your side effects? I'm mostly worried about the lethargy and nausea because I have classes to attend.
I know this is a bit more personal, but did you see a drop in your sex life? I've read that SSRIs can kill sexual desire and make it impossible for women to orgasm. I'm really, really worried about this, because I already suffer from a low libido and find it very difficult to orgasm.
How did it help you? Did you ever have panic attacks, and did the medicine make them go away??

Heather: It's not a stigma on mental illness, its a stigma on the medication. Because its always so unsure and the commercials don't say 'this is what it does' they said 'this is what we /think/ it does,' that really scares my family. Especially my sister, apparently. I didn't realize how against this she was until today. She apparently called my mom sobbing, trying to get her to forbid me to take these.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, advertisements for medications, all medications, are like that. That's something about medicine being for-profit, not about the validity of a certain medication itself. As well, there are rules about advertising that influence how any product is presented.

Advertisements also are not a sound place to get information, -- pro OR con -- about any medication. Healthcare providers are.

Untreated depression can be really dangerous. I'd assume that with such a long history of this and a therapist you have been seeing this long, this is hardly a flippant suggestion.

Again, you're an adult, so this is about you and your medical choices, but if your family keeps up like this, perhaps you can tell them to call one of their own healthcare providers to ask for good, real education about these medications, rather than trying to get that from ads,which don't provide it?

(On the sex drive issue, just so you know, depression, all by itself, tends to have a bigger impact on people's libidos than treatments for depression. IOW, once your depression starts being treated, if these meds work for you, the meds will more likely improve that rather than make it worse. But that's something else you can certainly ask your healthcare provider about.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

My mother called my therapist today, is doing her own research, and is going to ask my pediatrician (and probably hers) for a second opinion. She agrees that I should be on something and she's proud (if not a bit upset) that I've done so much on my own for this. But she doesn't want me to take the Fluoxetine. She has access to all the trial records of the drug and can see what happened before it was FDA approved and on the market. Apparently this drug was never really approved to be prescribed to people under the age of 25. And even then, most people given this drug were already very heavily considering suicide. Also, in people where their libido was affected, the affects lasted years after they stopped taking the drug, as well as some other affects that lasted after the pill wasn't taken anymore.

My mom says she'll have an answer for me tomorrow, based on what my therapist and doctor say and I guess her own research. I'm happy that she's really trying to help me, but at the same time, I feel almost cheated. I did all the work and research and went to therapy and thought I'd finally made a good decision...and then my mom comes in, pushes that aside, and comes up with an arguably better plan. No, I don't want to take a pill that will hurt me, but at the same time, I can't keep living the way I am. I really can't. I just won't wake up or get out of bed anymore if more days like I've had this past week are going to happen.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LifeEnColor, I'm sorry to hear about that. I know that when I, personally, had depression, I would've found it very difficult to deal with someone seeming to override my own research and opinions.

When I was prescribed Fluoxetine, I was very unwell - my brain felt like fog, I struggled to hold a conversation, I couldn't think properly, and sometimes I couldn't make my body hold a pen and write anything to even try to do my schoolwork. I tell you that so that you know both how much I think the medication did for me, and also that when I started taking it, I wasn't in the best position to be completely alert and notice every small effect it might have had, and I wouldn't've been able to identify most of the effects anyway, because the overall effect of the medication on me was dramatically positive. I mean, it's possible that subtle side effects were completely cancelled out and reversed because I was in such a bad way when I started taking it that the medication actually improved everything for me.

The side effect that I remember most was that it made me sweaty while I was asleep at night. That was worse for the first 2/3 weeks, then improved a bit, but remained. (I usually need less covers than most people anyway.) It was a bit annoying, but I simply showered in the morning and changed my bedding often. It was never as severe as a completely soaked bed or anything.

I think that in the first 2/3 weeks, my mouth was sometimes a bit dry, but I don't think I had that after then.

I don't remember identifying any other side effects.

I can't say for sure about any effect on my libido/sexual desire, because I had zilch before I took it because of the condition I was in. While I was on the medication, though, I began a sexual relationship, and I certainly felt desire, arousal, pleasure and experienced orgasms within that.

I didn't have panic attacks, so I can't speak to that experience. I didn't experience any nausea while on the medication, and I can't be certain whether it caused any lethargy, but the net effect was that it made me much, much more lively - I could actually feel my brain working again, get myself to school, do my schoolwork. I couldn't do that before the medication.

I wasn't suicidal before I started taking it, and I didn't become suicidal at any point while taking it.

At least two doctors said to me at the time that that drug was one of the easier SSRIs in terms of side effects - that is, more people had less, and less serious, side effects on Fluoxetine than on other SSRIs. This is totally unscientific, but I knew a small number of people on other SSRIs, and they had more side effects than me, and a couple of other people, young people, actually, who took Fluoxetine without troublesome side effects.

And I should say that I was just short of 17 when I started taking it.

I was not aware of any issues from side-effects that continued for me after I finished taking the medication. Things generally carried on improving very gradually, because the underlying reasons for my own illness were rooted in my life, cricumstances and childhood, and it took a very, very long time to properly address all of that. It would be impossible for me to identify and difference in anything for me after finishing the medication, because that also coincided with gradual improvement, so it's impossible to identify anything to "finishing medication" or "improving health" individually.

I would suggest that if you're concerned about any information your mom finds, you could take it to your therapist/doctor yourself and discuss it, so that you still make your own decision.

The other thing that good doctors usually do is that, if after say a month, you're experiencing side effects that you're not happy about, they try you on a different SSRI. Not everyone responds well to the same one, and a few people take a couple of different changes to find what's right for them. The vast majority of people prescribed them find that SSRIs help. What I was told at the time (by doctors) was that Fluoxetine was one that more people usually responded well to as a first try.

I am far from an expert on the information that your mother found, but I suggest checking it out with informed people, either if there's anyone here who could help, or your own doctors. The last I heard about the issue with Fluoxetine/young people was that the claims for concern were very contentious, couldn't be proved, and dodgy science (people who were already suicidal become suicidal on Fluoxetine...so blame Fluoxetine??). I remember that there was a group of people who were absolutely convinced that these claims were absolutely true, and other people who were adament that the claims were very dubious indeed and were likely to harm young people by making people who the medication might benefit reluctant to take it.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm not sure what you mean by your mother having access to all the trial information. But I can assure you that if it wasn't approved to be prescribed in a certain way, it's not going to be prescribed in that way so widely. Also, in looking around, I'm seeing things that were clearly discovered by studying it in those under 25, so that confuses me.

But what I do know is, as you've discussed in the past, your mother certainly has her own very serious issues she's not dealing with (and which deeply impact you). I can certainly understand feeling the way you are about how she's behaving around this -- given you're a legal adult, I find calling your therapist particularly boundary-crossing -- and I suspect it adds particular insult to injury that she'll put all of this attention into potentially sabotaging the way you're working so hard to take care of yourself, yet it seems she won't put that same kind of energy into her own care, which would help you far more than doing this.

I would strongly suggest that the people you privilege about this choice for yourself are yourself and your healthcare provider. And if you want a second option, I'd ask another objective healthcare provider, not your family members, who are reacting to this in a way I, personally, find pretty strange. Especially since being worried about you using a medication so much without having that same level of worry about how you have been FEELING -- and again, in your mother's case, the way some of her behaviors have done you harm -- seems seriously wonky to me. (And in your mother's case, something tells me this may indeed have something to do with not wanting you to get better -- not in a malicious way or anything, it's just that when your kids get better, the onus is more on you to do it yourself.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

By the way? Whatever choices you make with this medication, I think the steps you have been taking to take care of yourself over the last couple of months are awesome. I'm hoping that you've been able to give yourself lots of props.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Thanks for all the support and info guys, it's really helped me the past couple of days.

So I humored my mother and she did all her own research and even called my pediatrician from home, and WOW, lo and behold, Fluoxetene is the best thing I can be taking right now for my depression, anxiety, OCD, and panic attacks. Yes, I'm annoyed and hurt that she felt she needed to do all of this instead of taking my word on it, but whatever, the fact is, she's now onboard with this and is supporting me.

I started taking my medication yesterday. I've definitely noticed some side effects. I was incredibly hyper and 'twitchy' for a while, followed by waves of nausea, dizziness, lethargy, and spacing out. Nothing very bad, and nothing thats really affected my days so far.

Thanks again for all the support, guys. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

At the very least, having her do all of that only to arrive at the conclusion you yourself were at from the start had to be somewhat gratifying, I'd hope. [Razz]

Here's hoping she puts that same kind of energy into her own self-care soon.

Glad you were able to have the nonsupport for your choice come to a halt, and hope this winds up being a help for you!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

I'm really happy to hear that you got the outcome that you wanted, and that your mother is now supporting that.

I hope that the medication benefits your health and that the side effects pass soon.

--------------------

LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

The side effects really aren't all that bad. Yes, during classes the spacey-ness and hyper combo can be distracting, but they're not hurting me or my grades.

The only thing I'm still concerned about is my sister. My mom sat her down and had a talk with her, trying to explain some things, but since my mom doesn't know 99% of my reasons for starting Fluoxetene, she couldn't answer many questions. What is sounds like is that my sister is more hurt and upset that I didn't confide in her more than anything else. My mom basically told her that if she didn't have anything nice or supportive to say to me, to not say anything for now. I haven't heard from my sister since Monday and I'm getting worried that she really is /that/ upset with me. She's supposed to be visiting with her boyfriend the weekend of the 8th, but now I'm scared she's going to cancel. I don't know how to reach out to her. When she's angry, she completely tunes out everything anyone says, and I don't want to make the situation worse.

Heather
Member # 3

How about leaving her a message that you'd really like to have time to talk alone together? That you aren't sure why she's feeling so hurt, but you don't want her to, and would like to sort that out with her so you both can feel better?

If you put the ball in her court that way, then you walk away. She either chooses to pick it up or she doesn't, but you've done all you can do on your end to connect. And if, as you say she often does, she chooses to just tune you out, that's not something you can control, that's her choice that's out of your hands. And if doing that upsets her, that's her increasing her own upset, not you doing anything.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

AponiKanti
Activist
Member # 48252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AponiKanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, I know my mom was against me taking medication for my depression and anxiety (really she was against admitting I was as sick as I was in the first place) but she didn't react like that at all. I guess for me though I have such a strong interest in medicine that she knew I'd do good research because I don't like taking medicine either, although that has a lot to do with being a sickly person and being on medication for asthma since I was a small child.

I'm glad your mom finally calmed down, though I know the hurtful and somewhat aggravating problem of a mother being so overprotective that they completely blow off everything you said, know, researched and feel. My mom still has a tendency to minimize my feelings and depression and anxiety, though she's less loud about it, but that's probably because I'm less vocal to her about my problems now. She thinks she knows how I should be and how I should handle it and what will make it better because she was depressed as a teenager and she "got out of it". Personally, I think she's mildly bipolar (bipolar-like behavior runs in the family. my aunt actually has bipolar I). In fairness to her she's ultra paranoid about me having a better future and an easier life than she had (she's terribly anxious sometimes).

Anyway, I'm glad you're able to take action with the choices you really want. Remember, you can ask your doctor for something different if you don't want the side effects. Although personally I've never tried fluoxetine, I have been on other SSRI's. It took my three tries with three different meds to find the one for me. My first try was stopped by my mother, the main side effect I had with it was that I had very weird dreams and my sleeptalking got worse, which didn't bother me except occasionally I woke myself up from talking so much XD The second try was ok, it made my anxiety worse though so I had to stop it because it was actually causing me to almost have panic attacks. My third try was the charm, it got my depression to lift, my anxiety lessened and I was less obsessive. Also my tendency to have big mood swings reduced as well. So, for me it took a little while, but I was better for taking meds. I hope your health improves and that you can reach your sister.

Posts: 95 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on a few different psycho-active (brain acting) medicines (yea, that sounds nasty doesn't it? [Wink] ). It has been a long slow process of trial and error with various medicines to see what I am most stable on, but I would say that I am better on them than not. Of course, you can never be 110% totally sure [Wink] , however about the only side effects I have are a dry mouth, and some sleepiness (but I have been reducing the amount of the drowsiness causing ones).

It's a case of weighing up which has the most risk - trying certain medicines under the supervision of a qualified, trustworthy professional, or not take any medicine and possibly be worse off. I think it is better to give it a try under proper supervision, than to spend life wondering whether it might have helped - after all, the medicines prescribed by the majority of doctors are ones that are likely to make the most positive difference with the least (both number and severity) of side effects.

If the medicines stabilise your brain chemicals, you can start to logically work through various things in your life. You can never live part of your life twice (ie. do a double blind test [Wink] ), but if you are doing better on medicine, and not having serious side effects, it probably wouldn't be too big a stretch to say the medicine has helped. [Smile]

Good luck!

PS: My family has a background of mental illnesses too, and the ones that stay on their medicine tend to do better. [Smile] The majority of doctors would have your best interests at heart.

[ 10-02-2011, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scrub that last post if it's still there (I can't edit it). Please look at:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/02/food-matters-the-movie.aspx?e_cid=20111002_SNL_Art_1

which can be viewed free until the 8th October. It is really interesting.

Heather, could you please delete my previous post? Thanks, that would be great! [Smile]

[ 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.