Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » PMS question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PMS question
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I have had my period for 12 years now and over those 12 years, my pms has changed as far as symptoms go. I have noticed especially in the past 7 years or so that breast tenderness is my main symptom. I know that this isn't unusual and the tenderness is by no means excruciating, just tender to the touch. I have noticed something unusual however. See, I am a very petite person with very small breasts. I know that it is somewhat normal for your breasts to be a little uneven and you can really tell that mine are. My right breast is a tad bigger than the left. As far as breast tenderness goes, I always feel the tenderness WAY more in my right breast and hardly at all in my left breast. I have always noticed this and didn't think nothing of it but lately I am wondering if it is something to be concerned about? Does the size increase on the right side have anything to do with the increase in soreness? I have had a breast exam (just a doctor checking with their hands)before but it's been about two years since I had it because I lost my health insurance, and they never found any lumps or abnormalities. Upon self examination, I haven't noticed anything unusual either. Any thoughts?
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any cause for concern here.

However, I certainly do know what it's like living without healthcare, all too well. Do you want help seeing if there is public health in your area you might have access to so that you don't have to keep going without care?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do have a health department in my area but I have tried to keep from going there because I have gone there in the past and it looked really run down inside. My healthcare generally consists of waiting til I have enough money to just pay in cash for a physical exam...which I admit hasn't happened in awhile. When I had health insurance I got pap smears every year and they were always fine. I would love to have the cash to go to an actual gynecologist for care but I don't see that happening and I gather that when you are dealing with health departments, it is just a general practitioner right? It would be awesome if you could suggest another option for me other than the place in my town.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, using public health for OB/GYN care doesn't mean you will automatically get a GP and not an OB/GYN.

I confess, it's tough for me personally to speak to clinics looking run down: public health is what I have utilized for my healthcare for the vast majority of my life. I grew up inside a hospital nearly every day, so I know care can vary and environments can vary -- something I also know even from using public health in different states and areas. However, I also know that the standards for state-funded or federally-funded clinics tend to be pretty strict.

Again, I grew up poor, so my idea of "run down" may differ from yours. However, it's unlikely your public clinic isn't sanitary and up to public health codes.

So. If you do have access to that care already, maybe go on inside, ask about what doctors they have available, even ask about their standards of care if you have concerns?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.