Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » stress eating!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stress eating!
aaa259
Neophyte
Member # 47869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaa259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this isn't a huge problem or anything, but it's something that I definitely do and would like to stop. Basically whenever I get stressed out about something, I try to make myself feel better by eating. Sometimes it's unconscious but sometimes it's conscious, too--I'll realize that I'm doing it, but I'll say oh, it's just because I'm a little stressed out, and I'll let myself continue and then let it go away. I'm not having major weight issues, but I'm just starting another year of college and although I do like school a lot and enjoy being so busy most of the time, I feel kind of overwhelmed and freak out a little more often than I would usually, and I would like to avoid gaining a second freshman 15 if this continues.
I know this is a fairly common thing, so does anyone have any suggestions to prevent eating as a stress reaction? Even when I realize I'm doing it, something about the mindset I'm in doesn't make me tell myself to stop. Anything I can do about this? Thanks!

Posts: 15 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mpls Girl
Neophyte
Member # 77973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mpls Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, third time is the charm. My computer is broken, so I am using my ps3, and it keeps erasing my long detailed responses.

1.) excercise in HEALTHY amounts (which actually just means don't overdo it, even the littlest bit has been proven effective) helps a LOT with stress and anxiety and keeping your metabolism and appetite in line.

2.) Mindful eating is the key to avoiding those mindless binges. There are some great books and information about the topic online. Just search for "Mindful Eating".

3.) Make sure you are eating enough and frequently enough, in addition to the right types of foods and the right amounts. "healthyeating.com" and "choosemyplate.gov" can give you tips. You should be eating about every 3 - 4 hours, which is KEY in preventing those over-eating sessions.

4.) Make sure to keep binge-OK snacks around for when you DO feel like munching more than your meal plan allows... i.e., fruits and veggies and popcorn. But you can even overdo these, so seeing how they fit into your meal plan is key.

5.) You can most likely see a dietician or nutritionist through your insurance plan or college health service. They can give you individualized help and the correct meal plan/excercise routine/etc. for you. Message me if you need help figuring out what resources you have access too, I'm really good at that.

Hope this helps, and doesn't get erased!

--------------------
~Life is an adventure, and so is learning about it.

Posts: 8 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mpls Girl
Neophyte
Member # 77973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mpls Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I forgot something else...

If you feel like you need serious help for your eating and it is causing you a lot of distress, you can check out "Somethingfishy.org" It's an eating disorder information website which is excellent.

--------------------

Posts: 8 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mpls Girl
Neophyte
Member # 77973

Oh and last thing. LOL

Certain medications can cause changes in appetite, metabolism, and hunger/fullness awareness. Talk to your pharmacist about any medications you are on to see if they could be affecting you.

--------------------

Mpls Girl
Neophyte
Member # 77973

Oh and last thing. LOL

Certain medications can cause changes in appetite, metabolism, and hunger/fullness awareness. Talk to your pharmacist about any medications you are on to see if they could be affecting you.

--------------------

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Another suggestion (not related to eating): What *else* works for you when you are stressed? For example, exercise/ watching tv/ yoga/ tai chi/ art/ music/ journalling/ martial arts/ talking with friends/ cleaning/ meditating are activities that work for some people.

Can you usually sense when you are getting stressed? If you are mindful to that, are you able to direct yourself to one of those other activities, rather than the food?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
Just another idea being thrown out here;

If you're aware of when you're about to binge, try changing your direction and head towards the bathroom. Recently, whenever I've noticed I'm about to lose my willpower, I brush my teeth instead. The taste, fluoride or minty, is ghastly enough - so even if I do take a bite it turns me off enough that I can then focus on more productive activities that can relieve the stress.

It's not an end all be all cure, of course, but hopefully it might stifle the urge while you look for an alternate way to channel your stress. :)

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaa259
Neophyte
Member # 47869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaa259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! All of this is really helpful, appreciate the advice [Smile]
Posts: 15 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.