Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Please help! I can't get a tampon in!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help! I can't get a tampon in!
mintyfresh
Neophyte
Member # 76290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mintyfresh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've tried a couple of times and it just isn't working. It hurts to put a tampon in and I think I have the right..err...hole, but I don't know. After looking at diagrams, I was able to find what I thought was my vagina, but the tampons don't go in more than halfway and they hurt! I'm so tired of pads, they gross me out, and are embarrassing.
Posts: 1 | From: LA, CA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so when you're having issues with inserting a tampon for the first time, it's best to start during the part of your flow which is the heaviest (the extra slipperiness helps). You can also try dabbing the tampon in some lubricant, too.

Have you read the instructions in how to do it (such as the angles and stuff)? You can insert from a number of positions - sitting with your knees apart, one foot up on the sink, etc. You want to aim it sort of toward your lower back.

So, there's the making it slippery enough thing. There's also being relaxed. When your muscles become very tense around your pelvic area, it can be difficult (and painful) to insert anything! Do whatever you gotta do to get relaxed - sing a song, think about something nice, etc.

Lastly, make sure you're starting with the lowest absorbency tampon you can find - you can always work your way up. And don't get discouraged, lots of women have issues with this when they first try. [Smile]

(One other thing: You said pads feel icky, but have you tried washable pads? More info here: Eight Myths About Washable Menstrual Pads Dispelled There's also the Diva Cup, which is pretty popular around here: divacup.com)

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbydreams
Neophyte
Member # 78235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbydreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel alone, I still can't get one in for the life of me! The pain really sets me off, and if it hurts at all I can't relax afterwards. My suggestion would be try small plastic ones first, they're easiest, with as much lube as you need.
Posts: 11 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.