Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » New Blog Series About Vulvas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Blog Series About Vulvas
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to make sure that all of you were aware of the eight-week series we're kicking off on the blog today, which involves words and photographs from Wrenna Robertson's "I'll Show You Mine," a really incredible book that aims to increase awareness about what real vulvas can look like and how people with them can feel about them.

As mentioned in the kick-off post today, these are explicit photographs, so if you're somewhere where looking at those, even though they're for education, would be a problem, you may want to bookmark this for later when you're in a safe space for that.

The interview to preclude the series is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/07/21/wrenna_shows_you_hers_and_mine_and_yours_and_hers_and_hers_and

And the first installation of the series is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/07/25/ill_show_you_mine_diana

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the second installment up: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/08/02/ill_show_you_mine_erin

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a chance to comment on the first week, but this is a really awesome idea.

I believe I have seen photos from the book she has mentioned, and while I thought it was interesting seeing the diversity, it seems a lot more easy to relate to after you've read the person's writing.

The only thing is, so far (and granted, this is only the second week, [Smile] ), both entries have been Caucasian. If there's anything less represented than vulvas, it's vulvas of other ethnicies. But it's not over yet, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for a diverse collection of entries.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

None to worry: this is only two out of eight, and they're not all of white women, nor all of cisgender women.

That said, though, I'd also be wary of thinking we know for sure what someone's ethnicity even is based just on looking at their vulva! When the full series of eight is up, we can be fairly sure that some people will figure that only X number of vulvas were of a given ethnicity, an assumption which may or may not be correct.

Heck, even just looking at the two posted so far and making that assumption strikes me as precarious. [Smile]

Maybe we want to talk about making assumptions about ethnicity and race based on just looking at someone's vulva, or just looking at someone, period?

[ 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that is true. I know plenty of people have made inaccurate assumptions about my own ethnicity, and these people have seen a lot more of me than my vulva!

Sorry if I offended anyone or appeared narrow-minded!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, I don't think you were being offensive at all. Just think it's one of those kind of easy presumptions people make, that we can tell what someone's ethnicity is just by the color or depth of color of their skin.

By all means, sometimes if and when we make those guesses, we can be right. But think it's just sound to remember that often we can be wrong, too.

Of the eight photos I'm working with, for instance, I feel pretty certain that at least three of the women in the photos are probably not only European in ethnic origin. But I'm guessing there might be a couple more that aren't, or that of the few I think probably are women of color, one or two of them may well not be. In other words, I'm figuring that my presumptions based on just looking are probably just that: presumptions, and that the only way I can know for sure about someone's ethnicity is if and when they identify it for themselves to me with their words.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Third installment up: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/08/08/ill_show_you_mine_jayla

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
It was really interesting to read Emily's blog post, thanks for posting that one.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I thought it was one of the most powerful in the book.

For everyone else, that new installment is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/08/15/ill_show_you_mine_emily

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Wow, that is really awesome!

I always wondered how that surgery worked, and from a medical geek's perspective, that's about the most amazing thing I've seem. Most plastic/reconstructive surgeries that I've seen are enhancing or reshaping something, not changing the entire structure. And the fact that those kind of results are possible is, just, wow.

Heather
Member # 3

This week's installment: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/08/22/ill_show_you_mine_odyne

Just an FYI on genital surgeries? Actually, most of the purely cosmetic procedures you see so much of in the media and might consider "the norm" in these surgeries use techniques developed for sexual reassignment surgery. Some people assume it was the other way round, but nope. Surgeons, on the whole, really do tend to develop these things initially as a way of actually practicing medicine to help people, rather than for profit or spots on reality TV. [Razz]

Of course, it's also worth bearing in mind that in a culture that is sexist, transphobic and also capitalist/consumerist, you're going to see way more in the media about things like "vaginal rejuventation" than about SRS or other surgeries that are not simply cosmetic.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Next one up!

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2011/08/30/ill_show_you_mine_kacey

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.