Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » A question about pleasure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about pleasure
wordnerd25
Neophyte
Member # 58644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wordnerd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are some people just not meant to have as much sexual pleasure as others? I mean, I know that you have to get to know your body, etc., but are some people just inherently more or less sexual than others?
Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think that people differ in how sexual they are. But I absolutely don't believe that some people are just meant to have more or less pleasure than other people.
Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wordnerd25
Neophyte
Member # 58644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wordnerd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean when you say that some people are "more sexual," then?
Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what was meant is that some people have desire for sexual activity more often than others. But more sex doesn't necessarily mean that they feel happy or pleasured more often. In some ways, needing to have more sex can make certain issues with compatibility more of an issue. It's like that song (which I suppose you could say is a little heterosexist [Wink] ) "Some girls need a lot of loving, and some girls don't." Need for sexual activity is a variable just like many characteristics of an individual, and can vary at different times even with the one individual. Doesn't mean one gets more pleasure (when defined as any kind of happiness) than the other, just that one desires sex more frequently. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might rephrase the statement that some people are more or less sexual by taking the quantification out, or at least, putting it in a different context.

For sure, sexuality can feel like a bigger part of who someone is or of someone's life than it does for someone else, and can also feel like a bigger part of who we are and our lives during one time of life than another.

But I'd also make sure to be clear that sexuality is tough to put in "more" and "less" categories because we don not all have the same sexuality. Human sexuality is incredibly diverse, in how it feels, in how we experience it and what our experiences are, in what we do and don't desire, do and don't enjoy, do and don't experience as sexual in the first place.

And with sexual pleasure, like any other kind of pleasure, some people will have a harder time and some folks an easier one experiencing pleasure. Sometimes that's about what people like and what opportunities they have. For instance, for a person who enjoys things many people do, and who has a lot of opportunities to explore that, finding pleasure can be a lot easier than it is for another person with both less opportunity and who enjoys things fewer people enjoy. But there are also SO many other things that can be barriers to sexual (or any kind of) pleasure besides that: how we were raised, how we feel about sex and/or pleasure, how our bodies uniquely function (including conditions like, say, depression, anxiety or nervous system disorders that can get in the way of pleasure), how the whole of someone's life is going, and so much more.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The problem with using "more" and "less" is that it is inherently implied that "more" is better than "less". But there are just so many factors. And the mind especially is a big factor in sexual experience. And minds are so complex, and the ways they develop and change so varied, it's no wonder than sexual experience is so complex, too, especially when it comes to a meeting of more than one mind! [Smile]

I suggest a good helping of healthy Scarleteen usage and discussion. =)

[ 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.