Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vagina anatomy question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vagina anatomy question
daisydilemma
Neophyte
Member # 65186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisydilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is just something I've wondered for a few years:

I've heard guys complain about girls having vaginas so tight they couldn't fit a finger in.

Well, it's easy to fit a finger in mine even when I'm not at all turned on.

Also, I've only been to the gyno once (bad I know) but when I went in this weird exchange took place, where she warned me something (the speculum?) might be uncomfortable, and then when she inserted she said "oh! slid right in!" (which was kind of embarassing, but also made me wonder -does that mean I'm a little wider than some women?)

I haven't had a child, but there must be some variation naturally, right? So is it "average" to have no problem inserting a finger even when the vagina is "closed"?

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, there's natural variation - and from what I'm hearing you say, you're actually having less trouble with things like the speculum. So, unless you had some kind of specific concern about your vagina being a little wider than what might be average, it isn't something to worry about. [Smile]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, when the vagina feels "tight," it's not usually about anatomical differences. It's about someone not being very relaxed, being nervous, holding tension in those muscles.

For example, someone having a partner trying to force fingers into their vagina, or someone who feels nervous or scared about that? Their muscles are most likely to tense up, which makes the vaginal opening less flexible.

So, this isn't about vaginal canals being wider or narrower. It's about how relaxed someone is or isn't.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Britster
Activist
Member # 48970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Britster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that the vagina is an amazing structure. It can stretch to allow the passage of a baby, and it collapses not to take up much space when not needed to.

The issue over being tight or loose is misrepresented because it varies for a person according to how relaxed, nervous, scared, aroused, etc. she is. So when guys may talk about girls' vaginas being too tight to get a finger in, that indicates that the girls were probably nervous or not aroused enough for the muscles to relax. On the other hand, the gyno warned you that it would probably hurt because most girls are very nervous at their first examinations, and she was surprised because you were relaxed enough so that wasn't a problem.

Personally I don't think you need to worry about being wider than average because the tightness or looseness is so dependent on variables of mood, and that isn't simply a matter of being aroused or not. Perhaps you just more comfortable than many girls.

This article might help explain it: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/vagzilla_or_all_genitals_great_and_small (notice that they can really only talk about the width of the vagina in the context of the anterior vagina- that is up by the cervix)

Posts: 89 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.