Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » An infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An infection?
kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Icon 8 posted      Profile for kafe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I was having symptoms of a yeast infection and eventually it seemed to clear up after 5 days of using a Canesten cream (applicator). It was supposed to be a 6 day thing, but I dropped one of the applicators and it didn't seem sanitary to use it after that.

I was happy with how it had cleared up, but over the last couple of days the symptoms have seemed to come back again, but I'm not sure if I'm just stressing myself out because I was so happy to finally get rid of it only to have it come back. I'm not sure if one of these two things could have contributed to a second infection, or if I'm maybe just overreacting.

The night before the symptoms started I was out all night and did not get to change my underwear until the next night, so I'm not sure if that was unsanitary and could have contributed to a second infection. Also, when I was using the bathroom a few nights before that (bowel movement) some of the water sort of splashed up and hit my vagina. I don't know if either of those could cause or help an infection along, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Whenever I use the bathroom I always 'blot' toilet paper, and don't wipe, to avoid spreading around any germs. I did read today in a topic that it's best to wipe the front before the back, which I normally don't, so I will be doing that from now on.

I was fairly sure it was just a yeast infection because I've had them before and the symptoms seemed the same (slight itching, sensitivity, increased discharge) but then I decided to check the FBI files page for yeast infections and happened across the bacterial vaginosis page, and got worried that it could be that instead. I'm not really sure what the differences are between that and a yeast infection, symptoms-wise, and I'm moving cities over the next few days so I won't really have time to visit a doctor about it. I know BV is in the STI files and I couldn't have an STI (I've only ever had one sexual partner and so has he, and we always use condoms) but it seems like it was also just a general infection so I started to get worried.

Today the symptoms have seemed to go down quite a bit, too. There's very occasional, slight discomfort, but it just feels like nothing's wrong. Yesterday I had increased discharge but today it's back to normal. Is it possible for mild yeast infections to go away on their own? I was planning on getting a Canesoral pill today, but if the symptoms are going away on their own, I don't want to take one and upset the pH levels and cause a whole new infection.

Thanks for reading, any for any future replies. I know that it's pretty much impossible for you guys to figure out exactly what's going on over this forum, but I thought you might be able to help clear my head a bit. If the symptoms worsen again and stick around, I'll go see a doctor once I've moved.

EDIT: Just before, I was having some weird back pains, around the same area I'd get period cramps in but not quite the same. Could this be related at all? They've gone now, but I'm a worrier by nature, so they're still at the back of my mind.

[ 05-05-2011, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: kafe1 ]

Posts: 15 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis have a lot in common. Both of them can be sexually transmitted, but both can also be the result of a natural overgrowth of existing microbial fauna (you're always going to have some microbes).

Since I am no fan of itching, I would recommend giving a doctor a phone call and seeing if they can squeeze you in just for a quick look. Make the time. While, yes, both minor yeasts and minor BV can sometimes go away on their own, there is no need to suffer while you're waiting to see if they cooperate.

Also - you can get the Canesoral pill, and keep it in reserve. For the next blasted yeast infection or whatever.

I got nothing on the back pain, except that my experience with moving involves a lot of heavy boxes. If it worries you (especially if you think it's not related to heavy boxes, changes in sleeping surfaces, or other such causes), it's a reason to see a doctor ASAP.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply. [Smile]

If I didn't get to the doctor but wanted some sort of fix, do you think taking a Canesoral pill would be fine? I don't really like the creams or the applicators. I've taken Canesoral before and it worked fine.

Posts: 15 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My issue with Canesoral at this point is that I don't think you're certain whether you have a yeast infection right now, or a case of BV.

Some science (forgive me if you know this stuff): A yeast infection is a natural overgrowth of yeast that live in your vaginal all the time. When you kill off the yeasts, the bacteria (which also live in your vaginal all the time) may respond to the elbow room you just gave them by overgrowing a touch themselves. If that's what's happened, taking a pill to clear up the yeast infection will make the BV worse (you'll have given the bacteria even *more* elbow room, and they may make you itchier).

I hate creams and applicators too, and have a habit of just keeping one of the one-dose pills in the back of a drawer for next time I get a yeast infection. I don't see any harm in picking one up. But I think you should confirm that you haven't got bacterial vaginosis before you take it. (OTOH, if it's gone away on its own, my temptation would be not to mess with it, but I tend not to get terribly nervous about these at this point. If you're worried, I think it's worthwhile to see if a doctor or a nurse or someone can take a look.)

The test is simple and quick - a swab and a look through a microscope.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for the reply and explanation. [Smile]

If I'm going to see a doctor about it, I may wait a few days until I've moved, because then I won't be having a slightly awkward discussion about it with my mother.

I guess I'll wait and see if the symptoms keep going away, though, because they were definitely better today than yesterday.

OpheliaBedelia
Neophyte
Member # 71763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpheliaBedelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a late reply, but I've found a couple of things helpful in my experience with yeast infections/vaginosis.

-When you shower, be careful with the soap products you use. My experience with a new body wash combined with some overzealous cleaning habits lead to a change in vaginal pH and a case of BV. Soap for sensitive skin is always a good option, especially if you think you're dealing with a possible BV case.

-After about two weeks of antibiotics (and the craziest UTI I've ever had), I started to feel the beginnings of a yeast infection. At the time I wasn't able to see a doctor I trusted, but I was able to make my days somewhat livable until then by taking probiotic supplements (it's near the vitamins) and eating live-culture yogurt.
I know that some people say there might not be conclusive evidence that this really works, but in my experience my days were vastly more manageable with the yogurt and supplements. During a time when all the good bacteria was getting killed off from my antibiotics, it at least seemed like replacing these good bacteria with yogurt/supplements was helping to combat the overgrown yeast.

Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.