Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Long, heavy, smelly periods??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long, heavy, smelly periods??
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my first period--it lasted for eight days and flowed a moderate flow for a first period, but it didn't smell. The next few times, it got lighter, and then heavier. The past few times, it has begun to smell. I am very sensitive to smells and hygeine, so it really freaks me out. I tend to avoid certain, frequently occupied bathrooms at school on a "Smelly day". I mean it fills up the whole bathroom! Could it be my diet? What foods could help me bring down the smell of my periods and discharge? I remeber going to the doctor and she said eight days is too long for a menstural cycle. She says I could take a certain type of birth control to eliminate my period completely, but the only side effect is that I may gain a lot of weight, and I am already about forty pounds overweight....not muscle but fat. Are there any other alternatives to trimming down a lengthy period? (from 6-10 days...I am actually surprised when it's less than eight.) Sometimes I have a habit of binging on sweet foods even though I don't like sweet foods most of the time. I have more body hair and a deeper voice than most girls because I have lower than normal estrogen levels. This period grew suprisingly heavier than the last one, and was very uncomfortable...I also sweat on my legs alot and have a lot of watery discharge that comes out during my periods that make my pads almost soaking wet (not heavy enough to actually have to change it every hour or anything like that) and even more smelly. The first two days were light. Days 3-7 were moderately heavy (still surprising how much it increased. I was usually tolerant to the lengthy periods because my flow was usually lighter. I have been having my period for over a year.), and the last two were light. On days 5-8, I had slight cramps. The only good thing about my period is that I don't have PMS and my mood swings are actually less frequent (I mostly have better moods). This is also an issue for me because I have on and off gender issues and sometimes multiple shifts in gender per week or day. Any advice on this? Could estrogen levels be effecting the smell as well?

--------------------
I am a fail waiting to epically win.

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think maybe your body might still be working out how to give you regular periods? I've been having my period for almost four years, but it took almost two years for it to be regular to the point where I could go "ok, I'll be very heavy on this day, but not this one, and by this day I'll be winding down."

The only thing I've ever really heard of that would help with odor is drinking water? I'm pretty sure I've heard from various sources that drinking a lot of water helps, but I'm not certain about that. If nothing else, it certainly can't hurt.

I have gone through (and still go through) having very sweaty legs and watery discharge, to the point where pads are uncomfortably damp. I don't know what would help with that...I don't know if you can manage tampons or a cup? Either one would mean that sweaty legs are not a problem, and they would both collect most of the discharge, I think (though the tampon would absorb and the cup simply hold). I've read reviews of cups where people say that it helps with odor, I'm guessing because the blood doesn't actually leave the body and sit on the damp pad, with you sweating? Sort of like why armpits tend to smell, because of the excessive sweating and nowhere for any odor to dissipate.

However, I don't really know much...this is just what I've learned from my experiences.

Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much...Tampons hurt me, so maybe I'll talk to my mom about mestural cups (forgot they made those!). I have been thinking about drinking more water, I don't drink much anyways. I will look into these things. Again, thank you so much [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you asked your doctor to look into the reason behind your low estrogen levels a bit more? The reason I ask is that there are some conditions that cause hormone imbalances and result in things like heavy/irregular periods. If your doctor isn't willing to help you out with this (by doing something OTHER than just prescribing you the pill, which doesn't actually solve anything) I'd find another healthcare provider.

Was the doctor you saw a general doctor or a gynecologist?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a gynecologist. She said there was a shot that could eliminate my period completely but a side effect was gaining a lot of weight. Like I said I am already really overweight already. I spoke to my nurse and she said there is a lower dose perscription...I asked her if my estrogen levels could result in having longer periods. She said that I may not have enough estrogen for my periods to stop. I had a question on why I didn't have an outer labia and my gynecologist said it was from vaginal adhesions, and that it was because of lower estrogen levels when I was younger and developing that area more...something like this. Another option she said to fix that was an estrogen cream, but she doesn't think that I need that yet. Sometimes I still think my estrogen levels are still too low because I have a deeper voice and coarser body hair (not to mention really dark and coarse stomach and chest hair...ugh..)than a girl with more blanced hormones. My skin is also coarser...but other than that...I don't know.

[ 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Daki ]

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend finding another gyn to see, if you can. A good doctor will look into the cause of things like heavy periods, rather than just prescribing some form of birth control to eliminate the symptoms. Sometimes that is the best course of action, but often there are other treatments too, so I'd really encourage you to try finding another doctor.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

It wasn't heavy the time I saw the gyn...light moderate flow...just his time it was with a whole bunch of watery discharge. Her concern was how long my periods were lasting--about eight days...I don't know, because I saw the gyn about eight months ago. I may try to look into other options though--

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I apologize - I don't know why I assumed you were having heavy periods! If they're light, but lasting that long, though, I'd still try to see another doctor. It sounds like you may have a hormonal imbalance that could be the result of something like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which can be managed in a number of different ways, but whatever is going on, a proper diagnosis is important.

--------------------

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

thank you very much...its hard to talk about this kind of thing sometimes...

--------------------

Daki
Neophyte
Member # 50902

I'll definately talk to my mom about setting up an appointment to see what's going on.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.