Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I desperately need help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I desperately need help
Eugene
Neophyte
Member # 61581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eugene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17 male and i'm in my first year of College. and i'm only 5'2 - 5'3 at most. I do not understand why i'm so short! My mom is 5'1, but my dad is 5'9. I've seen my friend who has a short mom but a tall dad and he turned out to be a fairly tall guy! I don't want to be 6'0 because that's just impossible for me. Maybe a good 5'7 - 5'8 is enough. I go to kung-fu classes for one hour and a half each week and swim an hour or 2 each week and i play soccer for 1 hour each week. I don't eat a lot of junk food (maybe once or twice a month) and i eat good, none processed food, like boiled chicken, carrots, some veggies. What can i do?? I'm short and fat, about 152 pounds ( i was 160) and nothing seems to be working for me. My shoulders are somehwat wide and my *** and thighs are fat. and im short! But do you guys know anything that can make me slimmer and taller? Any responce will be very appreciated! I'm really desperate.
Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing anyone can do to change their height (save changing their shoes). And, save just keeping fit, there's also often only so much people can do about their body shape or weight. All of those things are determined mostly by genetics, which also isn't just about both your parents and how they look. However, it sounds like you do have one shorter parent: just because your friend has parents like yours and looks the way they do doesn't mean you'll have the same results, just like how siblings can sometimes look so different from each other.

That said, you're also probably not done with puberty yet: very few men are in their teens. Puberty often isn't totally done with people until they are into their 20s. So, you may still find that your height and body shape change in the next handful of years.

In the meantime, though, I'd suggest you try and accept your body as it is. It might not change, but the bigger issue is that our bodies are kind of always changing through life, and if we don't do a good job of accepting them as they are, it's awfully hard to get comfortable with them. And body acceptance tends to get all of us a lot further than body ideals or wishes about our bodies.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Eugene,

Unfortunately this is something outside of our area of expertise. Truthfully this is something that is an individual by individual situation. The best person to talk to about this would be your Dr. I am sorry that we couldn’t be of help with this; but I hope that you will please continue to be open to asking any other questions you may have in our areas of expertise.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eugene
Neophyte
Member # 61581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eugene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Heather! I'm sorry for posting stuff in the wrong forum! Im still a virgin so i dont know much about sex
Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, this isn't a wrong place at all. [Smile]

Do you want to talk about how you're feeling about your body and why you think being a different height than you are is so important to you? Sometimes just talking out, processing and reframing these kinds of feelings can help people start moving towards better acceptance of their bodies just as they are, or seeing the routes they might need to take to get there.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eugene
Neophyte
Member # 61581

Mostly because I feel different. People at my College and all my young friends are all taller than me. I know it's somewhat media's fault, but I do think when you're taller, you're more attractive. I don't like it when people look at me, I feel shy and ashamed of myself, like if I'm a joke. I am actually in love with a girl and I'm only a little taller than her. But because i'm short, I do not believe I'll ever get her since a lot of girls dig tall guys. I also don't feel comfortable with myself and my surroundings. I'm really desperate to grow taller...I've thought of getting HGH, but my parents said it's better to grow naturally.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.