Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » The patch.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The patch.
Thehiddenone
Activist
Member # 39654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thehiddenone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i have been on the Evra contraceptive patch for about 3/4 years now, no problems at all.

basically my prom night is on july 14th. Right as my period falls. Therefore, i've decided that i will wear my patch nonstop for the next cycle (to skip my period and make it a week earlier)

Do you think this is a smart idea? it doesnt say it'd cause any harm in the booklet just thought i'd check [Smile]

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, we recommend calling your care provider to verify that it's okay before messing around with the way you use any medication. (You don't need an appointment to get this info. Just call, ask to speak to a nurse, and ask your question.)

Do be aware that with any kind of hormonal contraceptive, skipping the placebo/off week does NOT guarantee that you won't have a withdrawal bleed. You might spot or bleed anyway. Or you might have other side effects. (For example, when I was on the pill, I tried to skip one bleed. I had bleeding during the time I would have had my withdrawals and then spent the ENTIRE next cycle spotting & bleeding.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, another reason to ask your care provider first...

From our article about the Contraceptive Patch:
quote:
Too, women who are looking for a hormonal method to suppress periods should probably not use the patch to do that: it has not been studied yet for continuous use, and with the higher dose of estrogens, could pose serious health problems used continuously. If you are looking to suppress periods, first talk to your doctor (particularly if you are in your teens, as doing so may pose extra health risks for you, and teens have not been studied for suppression), then of your doc gives you the green light to suppress, consider other hormonal methods such as the pill, the implant or the Mirena IUD to do so with.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.