Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » yeast infection or herpes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast infection or herpes?
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was reading one of the articles on herpes but I'm still not sure..my vulva is really itchy, kinda red and also dry and flaky. No warts though.

Any idea what it could be or if I should get it checked out? It itched a lot last night and then some today..but it's really recent. When I got tested in December I was negative for both types of herpes, but I received unprotected oral last week so maybe it was from that?

My pee doesn't smell or burn.

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's best for us not to try and diagnose via internet (and we're not doctors anyway). Best thing to do anytime is go ahead and see your doctor.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made an appointment for Tuesday, but what am I supposed to do before then? Suffer through the itching? I don't know what remedies there are for this stuff.
And you guys do study symptoms so it seems like you can at least tell me what the symptoms for herpes are. I'm not asking for a diagnosis.

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure: From The STI Files: Herpes

quote:
What are its symptoms? A rash or blisters that recur in small clusters that may be seen on the vulva, vagina or cervix, on the penis, buttocks or anus, or on the mouth and other areas of the body. It is generally itchy, sore or painful.

The first occurrence of herpes may also cause itching or burning while urinating, swollen glands, fever, headache, loss of appetite, and general lethargy or tiredness. These first symptoms usually occur within one month of the initial transmission, but a rash may not be visible or occur for years afterward.

(Also, just like to remind you to please use the search function, we've got great articles with a whole host of information that are pretty easy to locate)

[ 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

I did use the search function, as I mentioned at the beginning I was reading an article. But there are a LOT of articles and I can't read through every one of them. I thought explaining myself would help. Four days is kind of a long time to wait.

If you guys can tell me how I can find out sooner or how I can AT LEAST get a remedy for the itching, that would be helpful. There must be clinics out there I can go to sooner than Tuesday aren't there? What are people supposed to do if they have something urgent?

Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Oh, and how long do outbreaks usually last?

Thank you.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Duration and the time in between can vary depending on the individual & factors such as stress, diet, lifestyle, your immune system and what particular treatment you are using. The symptoms typically last from 3 to 14 days, but in some rare cases it may take up to six weeks or so to resolve. The first is generally the worst for most people, sometimes followed by a second bout of symptoms shortly after, as the body develops its immune resistance.

What you might try doing is either calling the doctor to let them know you're having a lot of trouble with the itching and see if possible could you come in earlier, or go to the Planned Parenthood site and search locations by your zip code for one close-by. Also can do a quick google search for free clinics near your zip.

--------------------

Babyapple495
Neophyte
Member # 57495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babyapple495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to an urgent health center they'll take ya right then. I went for my uti yesterday! But you won't get results until your test results come back.
Posts: 17 | From: United states of America | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.