Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Crazy period!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy period!
luanne
Activist
Member # 48638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a current issue, but I'm curious about it. My first period (fifth grade!) was literally gushing past all the pads and tampons I wore. I could squirt blood out as many times in a row as I wanted just by flexing my abdominal muscles. (Graphic, yes.) And there were giant clots the size of a big toe (or bigger) sliding out every which way. At the time I thought they looked like liver. Happily, there was no pain or moodiness associated with it at all.

Now, this was my first period, so while I'd been told there would be blood, I had no idea what was normal. After two weeks of this extremely heavy bleeding, I complained to my mom. She bought me adult diapers to contain the flow. Then she took me to the doctor, where they took a blood sample (and were surprised, when they saw the results, that I was still conscious), put a tube up my urethra with dye and took an ultrasound of me peeing the dye back out, gave me a blood transfusion, and eventually put me on the pill. Which fixed everything right up.

I've been regular ever since. The reason I revealed all the gory details was because I want to give as much information as possible before asking... what happened ? I've never heard of this problem, and nobody ever explained it to me.

Also, I wonder if it might have impacted my fertility somehow. That worries me because I want biological children someday.

--------------------
♥♥♥

Posts: 69 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd really need to talk to your gynecologist (or whoever prescribes your pill) to find out what happened. It's a shame they didn't explain about it to you at the time. There can be many causes of heavy periods and most of them won't prevent you from getting pregnant and having children.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sacredintimate
Neophyte
Member # 52066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sacredintimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi luanne,

I experienced something similiar when i was 26; i'm now 30.

My periods were regular for months -- the bloods lasted for about 4 - 5 days and the cycles between the bloods were about 27 - 29 days apart. In the fall of 2006, my period started like normal and continued for a few days longer than usual -- 7 days. When I was still bleeding on day 10 and 12, I got really concerned.

I went to see a doctor at my local clinic that works with youth, folks experiencing houselessness, and the uninsured. I got a few herbs to stop the bleeding and strengthen the vaginal and uterine walls, as well as iron supplements to increase that element in my body since the bleeding had really depleted my overall system.

After a few days of drinking herbal tea 3 times a day, sleeping lots of hours, going for short walking in the woods to get fresh air and connect to the natural rythyms of the earth, the bleeding ceased -- 14 days after the first bloods.

When I went to see a Naturopathic Doctor, she suggested I do an emotional inventory. Check out what emotions or stories about myself I needed or wanted to release and let go of. She offered that the body -- especially through the menstrual cycle -- has the ability to move energy and emotions and stress out of the body when we aren't consciously aware this is happening. She asked me to consider reflecting on this experience using expressive arts therapy -- journaling, dancing, drawing, collage making, painting, singing, drumming, etc. -- to see what was moving through me at the time.

Its been 4 years since that experience and I still refer back to those days of reflection as an incredibly powerful time in my life to get deeply in touch and aware of what my body wants to communicate with my mind.

Luanne, I know that your experience was when you were in 5th grade and it was your first bleeding cycle. I'd still encourage you to reflect on some of your life circumstances.

What kinds of transitions were taking place in your life at the time? (at school, at home, at a place of worship?)
What kind of emotional support did you get from the people in your life, especially the women?
What kind of emotional support would you like to have had now that you're looking back?
Can you ask your mother about any of the circumstances or events near or during that time when your bloods began?

I recognize that these questions don't answer what seems to be your question about future fertility and childbearing, though I think checking out these questions and their answers could provide a wealth of information to you about how your physical body, emotional body and mind interact and react without your conscious mind knowing exactly what is happening.

I also believe that our bodies, especially our genitals, have much to tell our cognitive minds about our emotional past, present and future.

For people with vaginas, its part of our physiology and emotional wiring that we store lots of psychic garbage in our gentialia and the musculature surrounding it -- the pelvic bowl. This garbage is all the messages we've ever received about not being good enough, our periods being "gross", our bodies being too this or too that. Our pelvic bowl is by its very nature the seat of many of our creative desires and energies. When the bowl gets clogged with the garbage, it can get hard to cultivate a well of creativity to send out into the world.

If you do some exploring, you might release or uncover useful information and open new pathways for expression.

blessed be.

Posts: 2 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I really always appreciate the addition of more emotional/metaphysical information and thought around reproductive and sexual health, because I agree, it is hardly a side issue so much of the time.

I'd just add to this that there's no reason to think only people with vulvas or uteruses have/hold emotional energy in and around their genitals. We've got plenty of reasons and information to know this can be an issue with people of all genders and with all kinds of bodies. Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.