Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Avoiding colds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avoiding colds
amaranth
Activist
Member # 48596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amaranth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if there are good tips for preventing/avoiding colds? I've started working as a cashier and I am touching money/peoples hands/being around people who might be sick. This is my second cold in less than a month and I am wondering what I could do to prevent more of them?
I always wash my hands after using the bathroom. We have wet napkins that are used to kill germs at our stations. When it isn't busy I try to wipe my hands off every now and then with those.
What else could I do?

Posts: 41 | From: 17059 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Activist
Member # 48596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amaranth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, I also try eating healthy foods when I can. Things like lots of fruits and veggies and greek yogurt for the proiobtics
Posts: 41 | From: 17059 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to keep your hands away from your mouth, nose, and eyes. If you have to touch them (like say you have an itch) try to wash or disinfect your hands before doing it.

Try to get enough sleep, 7-8 hours a night.

Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Activist
Member # 48596

Thanks.
I get alot of sleep because I am sleepy alot.
It make sense not to touch your hands to your face. Thanks again

TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get the flu shot if you possibly can, I know that's not really helpful for colds but flu usually goes around at the same time. I got swine flu when it was going around last year and it just floored me. It was seriously about as sick as I have ever felt. I was in bed for a week and I am a person who had bronchitis and didn't take a day off school and just took over the counter cold medication. My dad ended up getting it off me and he went to the doctor and got antibiotics and 2 days off work. So if I spend a week in bed I am feeling absolutely awful. Imagine gastro/stomach flu combined with the worst cold/flu you've ever had and that is swine flu. So after I had it, I vowed I would do just about anything to avoid something like it again so I got the flu shot. The one I got had swine flu and 3 other types of seasonal flu protection, thry do different ones every year to protect against whatever is going around at the time. I am completely terrified of doctors and needles (sweating, shaking, vomiting terrified) and I didn't even feel the flu shot and I didn't get sick all winter so I would definitely recommend it.

Another thing that is meant to help is lots of vitamin C and also taking echinacea, which you can get in drop or tablet form. When I do get around to taking it, it did seem to make a difference. Aside from that and doing all the stuff you're doing as well as the stuff Coralee suggested, I don't think that there is a lot more that you can do.

Good luck!

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.