Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nuvaring for just one month

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring for just one month
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! This might seem like a pointless question but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

I am currently not using Nuvaring anymore, but I want to be using it specifically during the last week of December as contraception. My period should be around mid-december, so if I put a ring in on the first day of my period (ie. day 1 of my cycle, if I am not mistaken), I should be protected until mid-january, is this correct? How long after I put in this "first" ring would I need to use backup contraception for? I recall it was soomething like one week, but I would like to make sure, although I will probably use a condom as well anyway.

Thanks in advance! [Wink]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you put the ring in on the first day of your period, you should technically be protected after the first week, though we always recommend using back-up for the entire first month.

However, I'd not recommend using hormonal birth control in that way. Both starting and stopping hormonal birth control put a lot of stress on the body, and I'd not advise doing that in the space of one month, for just one week of protection.

If you don't need continual protection, you might instead look into reversible methods that you can use as needed, such as condoms or a diaphragm.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.... I had disregarded the "one-month" dose of hormones being a problem, though, since the ring acts at a local level, unlike the pill for example. What kind of specific problems could this kind of behaviour entail, then?

Thanks!

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can expect your menstrual cycles to be pretty out of whack, for one. You might also find that you have more side effects, because side effects are more prevalent in the first few cycles of any method.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.