Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nipples

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nipples
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems like a silly question to ask, and one that I should know the answer to, but sadly I don't.

What do (female) nipples typically look like "at rest?" i.e. when not aroused or erect from cold? I've tried to find pictures, but I don't know the conditions under which the photos were taken, if the woman was cold or what. So it's a bit hard to judge.

Personally, my nipples always tend to have a sort of "puffier" look to them in a normal situation. The areola and nipple are sort of the same area, the nipples don't really protrude independently.

Based on this chart (http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthcare_services/breast_health/normal_breast_development/pages/index.aspx) it sounds like my own breasts/nipples are still around stage 4.

I'm 18, so for the most part I'm done with major developments. It wouldn't bother me at all really, if my own breasts/nipples weren't quite done developing, but I've always wondered if it's that, or if my own nipples are simply this way and I'm done developing.

Thanks!

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you're probably aware, everyone's bodies are different. Some women's nipples protrude a lot, some don't protrude much at all, and lots are in the middle somewhere. So it'll certainly be hard to find a picture of someone's nipples that exactly match yours; unless of course it's a picture of your own nipples! [Smile]

If there have been no health/medical problems with your nipples, it's safe to say that they're totally healthy and perfectly fine and that this is just how yours are. It's also hard to tell whether you're completely done developing, as everyone finished puberty at slightly different times, but it's very likely that there won't be any more major changes for you and that this is very close to what your adult body looks like [Smile]

Have you read this article yet?
Abreast: The Basics of Boobies

Posts: 1309 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read the article before, and it doesn't really deal with nipples as much as breasts as a whole.

As I said, my breasts seem to be still in the 4th stage, where the areola and nipple are a separate mound from the breast - my areola isn't flattened out to become a part of the rest of my breast - but it doesn't bother me at all or cause any problems, I've just been curious if I was done developing or not. [Wink]

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Also - I've looked at this site before (http://www.007b.com) which certainly helped a few years ago when I thought my breasts/nipples were "wrong" somehow, since the pictures show pretty much any sort of breast size and shape. After flipping through the galleries, I have run across women who seem to have similar nipples to mine, so I'm not alone. =)
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Acutally...I was just doing some more looking around online, and it is actually looking like I may have inverted nipples. I always thought having little dents/crevices in the nipple was normal. Well, it's normal for me anyways. [Smile]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inverted nipples certainly are a normal variation, so if you do have them, you're right in that there's still nothing to worry about [Smile]
Posts: 1309 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Women with inverted nipples tend to have them "pop out" once pregnant, right? Granted, this is quite a few years in the future, but since I plan on having a family, I hope inverted nipples won't inhibit breastfeeding or anything. Or is it possible to breastfeed with inverted nipples as they are?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

It really depends on just how inverted your nipples are, on how they've formed, basically just on your particular body. Thus the best person to ask would probably be your doctor or OB/GYN (do you have one?), as they can actually examine you and will know more about your individual body than we do [Big Grin]
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

I don't have an OB/GYN yet, but I imagine I will be paying one a visit soon, since I'm going to be starting to have sexual intercourse in the next few months, if all goes according to plan. =) Thanks for the help though!
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

No problem! Good luck [Smile]
Michael.RN
Activist
Member # 49692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael.RN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women with inverted nipples really dont have any disadvantage. The only purpose for nipples is to feed the young. When it becomes the time when you need to breast feed, your doctor will most likely give you a small piece of plastic with a plastic nipple for the baby to suck from. The suction from the infant will actually create suction on your nipple and will allow the infant to breastfeed normally. During my OG/GYN round in school, I hedlp a mother use this device for the frist time.
As far as them changing when you are pregnant, the surge in hormones may help develop your nipples more.
Hope this helps!

Posts: 42 | From: va | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.