Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nuva Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuva Ring
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got Nuva Ring from my doctor. I am worried that I didn't insert it correctly. It says if not inserted correctly you will be able to feel it, but I can't feel it. You are supposed to leave the ring in for 3 weeks and remove for one week. If i inserted it today am I counting every friday as one week? thank you.

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So yep, you'll switch it out on Fridays.

Did your doctor help you insert the Nuvaring in his or her office when you had your visit about it so you can know what really is the right placement?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. no, the doctor said it was very easy to do and that I could do it myself and should wait 2-5 days after i start my period. I just inserted it today. Have you ever heard anything bad about it? Thanks

--------------------

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pity: ideally, healthcare providers should be willing to show you how during your office visit. Mind, I'm sure you can figure it out, but that eliminates the need for guesswork.

The Nuvaring, like other available methods of contraception has been tested widely and is approved as safe for use. People will always have varied experiences with different kinds of birth control methods, but if you're asking if there's some secret, hidden terrible thing about the ring you wouldn't know about, no.

Would you like more basic information on it? if so, you can find some here: the Vaginal Ring (Nuvaring).

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

The doctor told me i could insert it with a tampon applicator. It just seemed to be a little big for the applicator, once i got it inserted i just kind of pushed up to secure it with my finger.I didnt think the Nuva Ring would seem so big, but I cant feel it now at all. Thank you

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

That sounds a lot harder to me than using your fingers.

The trick with the ring is just that it's as far back in your vagina as it'll go, because once it is, it'll go pretty horizontal, rather than vertical, because the way back of the vagina is more of a horizontal plane.

Not feeling it is a good sign: the back 2/3rds of the vagina has few sensory nerve endings, unlike the first 1/3rd, so if you're not feeling it at all, chances are it's where it needs to be!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Should i be able to feel it with my finger if its in the right place?

--------------------

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Should it go further back?

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, it's supposed to rest right up against your cervix. But you can't really do anything wrong as far as inserting the ring is is concerned - it only needs to be inside to do its job. It'll release the hormones no matter how it's positioned. Correct positioning is more a matter of not being able to feel the ring, and of the ring not slipping out. So as long as you don't feel it and it's staying put, you're good to go.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Thank you! Is it common to hear of any side affects? or irritation?

--------------------

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

or loss of sexual drive?

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read the insert that came with your ring? There are some possible side-effects, just like with all other forms of hormonal birth control, but it's hard to predict whether you will experience any of them. You'll just have to wait and see how your body reacts to the hormones.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Yes, I have. I was just seeing if there was any "hidden information". If I decide nuva ring is not for me when should I get off of it? and how long will it take to remove itself from my body? thanks so much

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

If you develop any side effects you decide you just cannot live with, you'll want to call your gynecologist to talk about going off the ring. But for the most part, it's a good idea to give it a few months to see how it goes, as many side-effects will subside with time.

How long it will take until the effects of the ring would wear off after stopping isn't something we can predict: that's different for everyone.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

ok, thanks so much! :)I appreiate you replying

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.