Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » BC & Hairloss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC & Hairloss
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eileenmarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of July I ended a pack of BC and stopped taking it altogether. At around this time (and a little bit before) I noticed an increase in hair loss. (The past couple months prior to this had been extremely stressful for me.)

At the end of August I got a completely normal period and have been getting it normally ever since. However, my hair continues to fall out more than normal now, in the middle of October. I got bloodwork done to check thyroid and hormones in September and everything came back within normal range.

Is it possible that even though my hormones are normal and my period is normal the bc has caused the hair loss I'm experiencing? I made the mistake of googling this and so many women report awful hair loss with birth control. I'm just worried it's never going to let up and that I've triggered some unstoppable thing.

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen any study or report that associates hair loss with hormonal BC methods (or going off of them). So, so often people -- anecdotally, not with study -- will assume something must be a side effect of birth control when, in fact, it's coincidental and totally unrelated.

You have healthcare providers looking into this, yes? After they ran those tests, what did they suggest? have they felt the hair loss you're having is more than usual?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eileenmarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's kind of nice to hear that hormonal BC and hairloss isn't a super common thing that I should definitely have known about before taking the pills. So thank you for that!

I went to my derm who didn't really address the BC but said as long as I was getting hair regrowth that I could see I'd be fine. Then the endocrinologist took blood as a precaution and said if it is indeed falling out more than normal it would eventually stop. She didn't have anything to say about the BC either. Overall, just wait it out has been the consensus. I don't think they really had suggestions because it's hard to pinpoint a cause.

I realize there is not much more advice to give and I do have my doctors as a resource so thank you for taking the time for me. I just wanted another opinion from someone who had perhaps more knowledge of hormonal birth control.

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did either of them, in taking a look, identify that you were having an issue with hair loss, though?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

No, neither of them did that. Are there specific ways to do that? Upon looking at my head in a superficial way no one would suspect hair loss problems I don't think. It's just that I feel like I see more in the shower, more in the brush. But it's even hard for me to look at my head in the mirror and decide if it looks thinner at this point.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can. Usually they'll have you do a hair collection. I explain the process here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/008281/p/1.html#000001

Generally, it involves collecting every hair you lose (in the shower, on your brush, on clothing, etc.) for a 24 hour period. The doctor can then count the number to see if it's over the normal amount of loss and see if you're losing them at the root or due to breakage.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Hmm, thanks for the explanation. I have figured out that I lose about 100 hairs on days that I wash my hair but since I only wash my hair every other day I'll get about 60 tops on none wash days, which is like 80 a day on average then. I feel like this number is a bit high in general and also high for me. Though, I never counted my hair before this. I'm also pretty sure the majority of these hairs are coming out from my scalp and not just breaking.

I guess I'm not sure what there would be to do even if I did the hair collection thing with a doctor. At this point I'm using organic shampoo/conditioner, not ever blow drying and only washing every other day. Basically, just trying to give my scalp as much of a break as possible. But I guess it would provide a more definitive answer.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On average, people lose about 50-100 hairs a day. So I'm not sure you're that far outside the norm.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaa259
Neophyte
Member # 47869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaa259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me--my hair got so incredibly thin!!! My mother was convinced it was because of the birth control pills I was on, but I'd been on them for a long time before that without problems and I had never really heard of anything proving that they caused hair loss.
The cause ended up being that I was slightly anemic, actually. My iron levels were still technically "normal," but they were in the lower range of normal, which can actually cause your hair to thin out. Even though your doctor said that your tests were fine, make sure iron was checked and ask to see the numbers and the "normal" ranges. If yours is low, you can just start taking an over-the-counter supplement or even a multivitamin with added iron and over a few months it can really make a difference. Hope this helps!

Posts: 15 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzie89
Activist
Member # 36168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzie89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here!! My hair has gradually been thinning and I've gone through the whole doctor process... I've ruled out thyroidism, diabetes, and folate and vit b12 deficiencies, but I do have SLIGHTLY low iron levels, but not dangerously low. I've been on iron tablets for ALMOST a month (not used for treating anemia), and It seems like my thinning has slowed down a LITTLE bit but I definitely have a lot of new baby hairs growing which (I hope) is a good sign.

I also have slightly raised inflammatory markers which I have to get checked again this saturday, which may be a reason for my hair thinning. If I find anything out about how to slow it down (or better yet make it stop), I"ll let you know!!

Posts: 49 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.