Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hair loss and switching BC methods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair loss and switching BC methods
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I kinda have 3 questions:

First, my hair is falling out, or breaking off. I have PCOS and have always have a few more stray hairs than others. Since starting the pill (and switching many times), it seems that I am losing more hair then before. However, I do dye my hair a lot and it's quite damaged and dry. When it comes out, it has a little white tip on the end. Does that mean it fell out at the root?

Second, I'm thinking of ditching the whole hormonal bc anyway. Even though this brand of BCP is better side-effect wise than other I have tried, I still have a bit more acne than before, my periods are too light and kinda hit-and-miss, and the whole hair issue, too. I want to try out Paraguard IUD. I have lost all of the excess weight, the metformin has regulated my hormones and is supposed to help induce/regulate periods (according to my doctor), and I have solved my heart/pulse issue with beta blockers. (I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome , my pulse used to stay around 150, I suspect that also messed up my periods). Also, an IUD would be great because once I go to college, I will no longer have my parents insurance to pay for the pill. The IUD will be covered my insurance and paid only that once. I have also been in a monogamous relationship for 3 years and neither of us have STI's, so that shouldn't be an issue.

TL;DR My hair is falling out for some reason. I want to ditch the hormones and see if my periods are regular. I think I have solved all of the irregular period culprits and want to try an IUD. I don't know how I go about telling mom I want one. I am on BCP because of my PCOS and because mom wants me on some kind of bc for those "accidents" as she calls them. My PCOS has been kind of a security blanket for talking about the pill. I don't know how to approach the subject if it's for pregnancy protection only.

Also, is it normal to be much more sensitive to smells on the pill? I cannot stand the smell of the fridge or meat. I've been that way since starting the pill a year ago.

[ 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: ilovenerds ]

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hormonal birth control can definitely cause hair loss, even though it isn't a particularly common side effect, so it's entirely possible that's the cause of the hair loss you're noticing. Some women do report being more sensitive to smells when they're on the pill as well, so it could be that that's a side effect you're experiencing.

Per switching from the pill to the IUD, that's really something you should talk with your doctor about, especially considering that you are using the pill as part of regulating your PCOS and not just for birth control. Your doctor has your medical history and knows the details of your specific health needs best, so it's something to discuss with them.

As for broaching the topic with your mom, I would just tell her what you've said here - you feel like the pill isn't a good fit for you anymore, and since you do need some form of contraception you'd rather try an IUD.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment set up for sometime in the next few weeks, as my doctor is on vacation for a while. She said that the metformin worked as a mild fertility drug and she put me on it to kick-start another period for my bcp. I'm mainly nervous talking to my mom. We don't have exactly the best communication line when it comes to contraception. She pretty much put me on the pill and left it at that. Now she uses PCOS as a scapegoat when talking about it. If I told her I wanted something solely for contraception she would think I was having sex and freak out (I only do oral and manual, no pregnancy risks, but I can't tell mom that), even though she put me on the pill in the first place. ahhhhh this is so confusing...
Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

So, I'm going to the doctor on Monday to talk about the IUD. I had to tell my mom today. I want to get my hair cut and the stylist commented on how my hair was falling out and if something was causing it. After that, I had to do something about it.

Mom agreed that the pill is causing more problems than its worth and that SHE felt 100% better after coming off it herself. She gave me a little speech on how "abstinence is the only 100% safe way... but better safe than sorry". I am crying because I was so nervous and now I am so relieved! The doctor originally said that sometime she wanted to take me off all my meds and see if I can ovulate on my own. So, I am sooooooo excited about potentially coming off the hormones and seeing if I can have periods naturally. I'm so excited I just had to post it! After I get it (if I get it) I'll post in the IUD experience page and tell you all about it! Ahhhhhh, it is so relieving to get that off my chest! Thank you, stylist, for giving me the push to tell mom!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you managed to talk to your mom, and that you're feeling better about all this. Hopefully the IUD is a good option for you!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Thanks! Now, even though there is no chance I have an STI, I still imaging me somehow having some kind of infection and I can't get it or Mom would be mad... lol I'm just in shock that I actually said talked about and it's a possibility. Wow, I am an emotional wreck right now... thanks hormones. I want this PCOS journey OVER OVER OVER. Mom was a little weary about the IUD because of the scare in the 70's, but I assured her that it's different now. Now, its just a matter of getting the doc to agree to give me one and seeing if my hormones are in check. Mom is being very supportive of me, even through the constant reminders of "You better not be having sex!" and "This doesn't give you permission!", but at least she doesn't live in denial about maybe one day it may happen.
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

UPDATE!!!

So, I'm scheduled for an IUD in about 2 weeks. I saw a new doc than usual and she thought the clinic offered copper, as she went to get the tools, she found out they only do Mirena [Frown] She just transferred there a few days ago, so she didn't know. She was all for getting me one so she referred me to a good OB/GYN in town. She said because metformin kick-started my period to start BCP she gave me the green light for one.

Problem, I forgot to ask her about using Diva cups with one. On many of the cup sites, they OK using cups with an IUD. Keeper's site even says it is no more dangerous than using a tampon because the risk of expulsion comes from tugging on the string and not the suction. What is your idea about this? How long should I wait before using one? Should I get the strings shorter?

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I have heard is that you should wait until the risk of expulsion is a lower (after 3 or 4 months, I can't remember) before using a cup. I do know people who have done this just fine, but you might want to talk to the doctor when you are there for the insertion.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.