Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » extremely irregular periods!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: extremely irregular periods!
Member # 47984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delaniemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the title says my periods have been very irregular, so I'll start from the begining [Smile]

I got my first period in 5th or 6th grade, and it was a little irregular at the begining(normal) and then it got to the point where there were exactly 27 days between each period. Then, about 3-4 years ago, they started getting really heavy, and then they quit completely for 11 months. Since then they have come back, exept only once every 5 weeks or so, and they would only last a few days. Currently, I am on the worst period ever. I have been bleeding constantly for about 4-5 weeks now, and the past couple of days they have been really really heavy, I bled through a super plus tampon in only 2-3 hours. The past couple weeks I have been getting a lot of extra tissues coming out aswell, literally a handfull or more of this really dark, clumpy, sticky stuff, and today has been the worst of it. I'm also getting pretty bad lower stomache cramps, I have taken 2 ibuprofen an hour ago, and it still hurts, which is unusuall. What is this? What could cause periods like this? Could weight be an issue? Or something else? Has anyone else had this issue? What would you suggest I do?

Thank You!

Posts: 1 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've been bleeding constantly for over a month, it's time to call your gynecologist and make an appointment.

Be sure to also tell them that you previously did not have your period for almost a year.

A period that irregular is something that needs to be looked at by a doctor to rule out any underlying medical causes.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really should see a doctor.
This happened to me as well. For about 5 years my periods were so irregular they cane only once a year! Once, I bled my entire summer break, literally, for 2 months. They were very heavy and painful, as well. I went to my doctor and I ended up having polycystic ovary syndrome. Do you have more than a few stray chin hairs, trouble losing weight, or do you randomly gain or lose weight?

You could also have endometriosis. One of my friends had very long, heavy, painful periods and was diagnosed with it. If you are bleeding heavily for a long time, you could become anemic. You should really see a doctor if this is happening to see what is really going on, though.

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.