Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » first period symtoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: first period symtoms
Member # 47956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubbly131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im 13 almost 14 heading to highschool and haven't had my period i wanted to know the symptoms that happen before u get ur 1st one. i want to be ready and not get freaked out by what happens the first time it happens. does it hurt? plz let me know?

Posts: 1 | From: california | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Bubbly, welcome to Scarleteen. Cute name:P

Hopefully someone can give you some more info, but i'll start off. Every woman experiences menstruation differently. Some women get it quite young, some not til 16+. Colour and texture is varied: for my first bleed it was quite dark and brown so i didn't know what was happening! i was expecting bright red blood, like when you cut your finger or something. THAT'S what caught me unawares, the colour.

Since i'd never *had* a period before, i don't remember experiencing symptoms beforehand, like cramps, mood changes through hormone fluctuations, etc, because i didn't know what they'd really be like. Nowadays, i kinda ~*~feel~*~ it coming.
You might experience some cramps, which are for me are dull but a kinda persistent throb of pain in the space between where i can feel my hip bones. Everybody experiences cramps differently: a gf used to be in agony before the pill regulated her cycle, whereas i can but shrug them off and get on with my day.
Some things i find really helpful to get rid cramps is exercise and heat, like a hot water bottle on my pelvis.

I dunno if you've had anyone chat to you about menstrual products but it's a good idea to have some handy for when your period arrives. You've got plenty of choice: disposable pads/tampons; cloth pads, which you can wash; cups, which you insert like a tampon; things like sponges, etc. I like pads, they're easy to use and i don't have any discomfort from having to insert them.

If you get your first period while at school- try not to panic! Periods can arrive at times and places when you are totally unprepared. When i was in HS, i kept a lil bag with spare knickers and fresh pads in my locker. If it's an option, a spare change of pants/skirts might be something to think about too if your school uniform is a light colour.

When you do get it, it will help you in the future to mark in on the calendar. i use a lil x in the corner of the day my rag starts. Then i have a rough idea when to expect it next- i count weeks, not look at dates.

Um.. i hope that helps!

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.