Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » burnin after showerr

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: burnin after showerr
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil_bridget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok my momma cant use liquid soap that comes in a bottle cuz it makes her stuff smell. so she uses the bar soap.
for lyk a year or 2 mine has had a kinda oder and i think its for th same reason, idk.
& i use the soap irish spring and when i get out the shower it kinda burns in my area

Posts: 20 | From: LA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the vagina is a self cleaning organ, and there is really no need to use any kind of soap or douche to clean it.

A mild soap will suffice to clean the outer areas. The inside has a very delicate bacterial balance that soap can destroy.

One more thing, most all vaginas have a smell, and unless it has a fishy, or very strong unpleasant odor, everything is usually okay, and doesn't need to be 'cleaned'.

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil_bridget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats gross! u sayin i dont need to clean it, wow thats gross.
and it has a bad oder commin from it
id rather hear from someone else.
thats so disgusting! id neva go without cleaning myself

Posts: 20 | From: LA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightshade is right: using any kind of soap or douche in your vagina is a bad idea. The vagina cleans itself out naturally, and using soap gets in the way of that process, so you can end up with an infection. Since you are noticing a strong scent and feeling burning, it's possible that you have an infection of some kind, so it would be a good idea to check in with a health care provider to make sure that everything is okay.

It's fine to use a very mild, unscented soap on your vulva, but even that isn't strictly necessary; rinsing well with warm water whenever you shower is fine.

You might want to read through this for a bit more information on how the vagina keeps itself clean and what indicates an infection: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

thats so gross, somethin is really wrong with u people if you think im not going to wash myself.
and its only when i get out the shower, so im pretty sure its the soap. gahh y'all r so gross!!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's up to you whether or not you want to stop using any sort of soap, but any doctor or healthcare provider will tell you the same thing we have. If you are going to use soap in your vagina, at least make sure it isn't scented and is as mild as you can get it.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lil_bridget, I also want to make sure that you know that we are saying that while it's normal to wash the *vulva* or outside part of the genitals, it can cause infections to put soap in the *vagina* (meaning internally).

Like Karybu said, no doctor is going to recommend putting soap into a vagina. There are some very particular cases when a vagina does need to be "cleaned" but that is uncommon and done with medical douches which are often prescription only.

If you haven't yet been to a gynecologist, this is a great opportunity to go and get this question of yours cleared up.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeahgirl
Neophyte
Member # 47754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeahgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idk if anyone can reply to this thread, but if I can't sorry. I just wanted to interject.
I too use soap to clean myself, nothing w/ fragrance or lots of chemicals, but just something to keep myself clean. I think what Lil Bridget and I are struggling with (and i could be wrong here)is the idea of not cleaning the outer area.
I realize that the vagina is a self cleaning organ, but the outer area (mons pubis, i believe) is not. For woman who keep some hair there (whether short or otherwise), and especially if they tend to sweat, that hair can hold odor sometimes. This is why, for me, it's important to clean there. In my mind, it's not much different from using soap on the rest of one's skin, especially if it is covered by hair.

Also, since the vulva is kind of "closed" most of the time (although i guess that would depend on a woman's size, shape etc.), i would assume it's important to clean inside the labia. Especially with showers, because a showerhead (unless detachable) doesn't always allow for the best rinsing, (in my experience).

Again, I'm to trying to be antigonizing or argumentative, but I just wanted to shed some light on why (i think, anyway) Lil Bridget and I are having a hard time with the idea of not using soap to clean ourselves. I can only speak for what has worked for me, but...i could be wrong...it's happend once of twice. [Smile]

[ 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: yeahgirl ]

Posts: 30 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah girl, I understand what you are saying, which is why both Karybu and I specified that using soap on the *vulva* is okay, as long as it's a mild soap. It's putting soap *in the vagina* that is going to get you an infection.

By all means, if you want to clean your vulva with soap, go for it, so long as you never notice any irritation. Some people are more sensitive to soaps than others, so unless you've figured out what works well for you, it's best not to push things with fragranced or harsh soap (eg, oil clearing facewash=serious bad news for ladyparts).

BUT, if you ever notice a strong sent, and/or experience burning that doesn't go away, it's time to check in with a doctor. Since lil_bridget described having a very noticeable sent, she should be seen by a doctor.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

Well I've been washing myself for 15 years and never got a infection. so ur probably wrong.
and yea i have hair so thats another reason i make sure i was myself, especially when im on my period.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

You have, however, experienced some significant irritation.

And again, if you notice a particularly strong oder, you should check with a doctor. Do you see a gynecologist on a regular basis?

Finally, if you insist on putting soap in your vagina (and not just on your vulva. I'd appreciate you answering my question about which you're doing), please make sure that it's a mild soap, okay? Clearly the soap you're using isn't working out.

Thehiddenone
Activist
Member # 39654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thehiddenone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lil_Bridget can i just say; you're being VERY rude here to the volenteers and other members of the forum calling someone "gross" is very out of order because they're not being gross they're trying to help you.

As well as that saying that everyone is wrong is just throwing their advice back in their faces, if you dont want to hear it then you dont have to read it, saying they're just plain wrong is very disrespectful.

Sorry everyone it just really annoyed me.

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Megan: this community belongs to all of you, so we're always okay with users politely calling out others, especially when they're breaking the guidelines, on the edge of them, or making any of you feel lousy.

Lil_bridget: vaginal infections are actually very unusual for children to get, so given your age, how you have been doing things like last 15 years (though I doubt you were washing your own vulva from birth) may not work the same for you anymore now that you've been growing into an adult body with a different vaginal environment than you had as a child.

I think it's been made pretty clear here that people were talking about the diffs between washing externally and internally. I also think it's clear that internal washing is what IS likely to disrupt that environment, information any OB/GYN who has had education in the last 20 years will usually give a patient.

Just FYI? It's not okay with us or per our guidelines for one user to have more than one account. Brittany asked us to close her account, which we did, a few days ago because she apparently hated it here so much. If this is Brittany, and not her sister, a new one days later to come back to somewhere you stated you don't want to be, clearly having the same issues, really isn't okay.

If this IS earnestly Brittany's sister, please, like we told Brittany, review the guidelines, and also, as we told Brittany, don't ask for information and advice and then argue with how wrong it must be and how gross everyone is. By all means, if you want to just ignore it, you get to, and if you really DO think it's wrong, we want to know, but ask for citations from credible sources of information on that we can check, not anecdotes, okay?

[ 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67060 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

i dont lyk being compaired to my sister N i was just saying, i think its gross to ot wash your self. & if u must know my sister told me about this site cuz i kept asking her questons she couldnt answer. i dont think it really matters.N i didnt say it was wrong i think its just gross. everyone i know was raised to clean their body. i just dont agree wit it. thanks tho. but im just gonna change soap N see what happens.

N as far as my sister i hate her so i could care less about what she did

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand.

By all means, you get to make your own hygiene choices.

But if you want to know what health experts who study what's most healthy for vulvovaginal health have to say about it, then that is this:
• The vagina -- that's the part INSIDE your vaginal opening -- does best when it is NOT washed, but allowed to clean itself. Washing INSIDE inclines the vaginal environment to imbalance of bacteria and infections.
• The vulva -- that's your EXTERNAL genitals, like your clitoris and labia -- does best health-wise when washed only with water (yes, even for those of us with pubic hair) OR a very mild, unfragranced soap, nothing like Irish Spring.

You, by all means, can agree or disagree with those things, but that is the general consensus among people whose job it is to know what's healthiest for the vulva and vagina, and who also see health outcomes from things that are not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67060 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeahgirl
Neophyte
Member # 47754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeahgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to comment on what i posted earlier...I was apparently a little mixed up in vagina vs. vulva. I tend to mix p the terms, for years I've gotten used to just calling it a "vagina" as a whole. It actually makes alot of sense to clean inside your vulva, but not your vagina. Sorry about that [Smile]
Posts: 30 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

No problem, yeahgirl. A lot of people got taught the wrong terms for their anatomy: it's so not just you!

Here's a guide for anyone who needs it: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/anatomy_pink_parts_female_sexual_anatomy

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

FYI, Triclocarban is the active ingredient in Irish Spring. That makes it worthy of concern about use ANYWHERE, let alone on delicate genital tissue.

• http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/114795.php
• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triclocarban
• http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706622

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

so i should change my soap?
Heather
Member # 3

Personally, I'd advise that, as well as advising you not to wash inside the vagina (rather than externally, on the vulva) if that is what you have been doing.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mma
Activist
Member # 47280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the way I tend to look at it. Do you put soap up your nose? Do you peel back your eyelids and scrub up the inside of your eyelids? No-- because it would burn like the dickens! Why? Because those are delicate mucous membranes, just like your vulva and vagina. Perfumed chemicals have no business being near my ladyparts.

--------------------
http://www.safeplace.org

1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.ndvh.org

Posts: 116 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

So after my period, im supposed to not wash my lady parts N just leave all that blood there?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You can wash the outside of your genitals - your vulva - but your vagina (the part inside your body) will clean itself out in time. That's why your vagina produces discharge; sort of like the way the inside of your nose is always making mucus, it's to keep germs and other things from getting into your body. But as mma pointed out, just like there's no need to scrub the inside of your nose, there's no need to wash out your vagina.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Also? Washing wouldn't remove menstrual flow (only a percentage of it is blood) anyway. It's not stored in your vagina, but in your uterus, which you can't get to with fingers or sponges.

It's the muscles of your uterus and gravity that work out that flow.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Lil_bridget
Neophyte
Member # 47826

heather that wasnt wat i waz talkin about...when i get off my period all that blood thats dryed to my area, i gotta get it off somehow
Heather
Member # 3

Sounds like it might help to look at that link up there, okay? "Ladyparts" and "area" make it pretty tough for anyone to know what parts you're talking about. It's clear you're frustrated with us not knowing what you're talking about, so if you can use the terms for the parts instead of vague euphemisms, we can all know what you mean without any confusion.

If you mean things like your inner and outer labia, that is your vulva, two of the external parts we have been saying are fine to clean with a MILD, gentle soap (not a chemical cocktail like Irish Spring).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.