Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Itchy nipple

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itchy nipple
lemonade789
Neophyte
Member # 47803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonade789     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My left nipple has been itchy for about a month now, and I'm kind of worried. It looks exactly like eczema. I had eczema on my elbows and the backs of my knees pretty severely for about a year when I was a kid, and it looks and feels a lot like that. The areola is much darker than my right one, and it's actually larger now as well. The skin has that whole leathery feel associated with eczema. If you've had eczema, you know what I'm talking about.

It's flaky when I don't moisturize it (I've been moisturizing it with Vaseline since that seems to help the dryness and itching a little). And obviously, it's itchy. It's not itchy all the time though. For example, it's not itchy right now, and it NEVER itches when I wear a bra. I like to go free (lol) when I'm at home, since I find bras kind of restraining, and I usually just wear a loose cotton t-shirt. This has led to me to think that it's chafing from the cotton, but then...why only the left nipple? And why now? I've been braless way more than I've worn bras in the past, and this is recent.

I guess it's worth mentioning that it was both nipples at first, but the right one cleared up fairly quickly. I kept scratching (discreetly!) the left one and now it's in the whole eczema-y state. I looked up itchy nipple on the internet on WebMD and such and they said itching in only one nipple is a sign of Paget's Disease and probably underlying breast cancer. But they also said it's very rare and that mainly older people get it and it's extremely rare for someone in their twenties to get it. Well, I am barely sixteen, and my family has NO history of breast cancer.

What should I do? Should I try steroid creams for eczema? Should I wear bras 24/7? Please help! This is bringing me down a lot. I'm already pretty self conscious about my nipples because they're inverted, and I don't think it's attractive, but now this problem came up. I'm embarrassed to ask my doctor and because I'm embarrassed about my nipples I REALLY don't want to show anyone what's up! So please help!

Oh and I just looked up skin conditions and I found ringworm...and there's this spot on my breast near my nipple that looks kind of like ringworm. I just thought it was from scratching though...this is scary. I guess it could just be eczema though?

[ 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: lemonade789 ]

Posts: 1 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If wearing a bra seems to relieve the itch, then doing so would probably be a good idea for now, just since itching and irritating it more won't help it heal. However, I think the best way to go is to see a doctor and get it checked out. If it is something simple like a rash or reaction, they can easily treat that. But if it is ( God forbid) something more serious, it's better to deal with it sooner rather than later and get it taken care of. Also, about being self conscious about your nipples, just know that they come in tons of varieties, colors, shapes and sizes, inverted or not, and all are perfectly normal. [Cool]

--------------------
~Smiley~ =)

Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raspberry78
Neophyte
Member # 65135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raspberry78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lemonade789

I have had the same issues for almost a year. My left nipple started to become itchy. It had some crust on it. I thought it was because I had just had a baby. I tried a breast pump only 1 time I didn't like it so I bottle fed. The areola has a leathery texture. It is somewhat flaky but only becomes that way when I itch it aggressively. Now my entire breast itches but is worse around the nipple area. All it takes is a brush up against my breast from holding onto my daughter and the itching begins. I've tried all kinds of moisturizers and been prescribed 3 creams and 1 sample between two doctors a gyno and a dermatologist. I had a core biopsy done back in December 2010 and it came back inconclusive but they said there was no cancer. The dermatologist never did anything else. My regular doctor had recently ordered a mammogram which came back normal. She requested the biopsy results to find out why they came back inconclusive. I am not sure why she would ask for results that have no answer? The itch is unbearable at times. I itch mostly in the evening too and in the shower. My entire breast is itchy. I have read about the Paget's Disease also and it says it's rare and is mostly in older people. I have read about other cancers as well. No matter what I put in I find the same information. But with a mammogram coming back normal (compared to a mammogram from 2009) and my biopsy results coming back inconclusive. I feel like is this ever going to end? Will they ever find out what it is so that it can be treated. I was just wondering lemonade789 did you ever find out what yours was caused from?

Thanks so much for any input.

Posts: 2 | From: home | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raspberry78
Neophyte
Member # 65135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raspberry78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to add that the color of my areola has changed it is a lot lighter than my right one. It will be 1 year in July that I have been dealing with this.
Posts: 2 | From: home | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherry_trouble
Neophyte
Member # 66777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherry_trouble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I also have an itchy left nipple. its around a year now when i first had the itch. however it had stopped but this year it started again. i also read about paget's disease, but i dont have any other symptoms of the disease, but my nipple does look different from the other in colour as it is darker and size as it is bigger. my entire left breast was always bigger than my right breast from the time i started puberty. When i first had the itch, i scratched it like crazy until i cut my nipple so i was wonder if thats why it looks slightly different [Frown] . i never had rash, scaly nipples or anything which are other symptoms of paget's disease but i am still worried. Im 19, mentioned the itchiness to my mother but she said hers itches sometimes as well, but i dont think she knows how bad mine itches when it starts. i want to go to the doctor but im so scared of bad news or even having a biopsy. but i know its better to get tested to see what it is before it gets any worst. Keep me posted yall, but im relieved that im not the only teen with this issue.
Posts: 1 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meow7
Neophyte
Member # 70379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meow7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raspberry 78- I have had the same thing and the same process so far, but I'm a little behind you. I was prescribed a cream by the gyn, and one by the dermatologist. I have a follow up with the dermatologist in less than two weeks. The cream doesn't seem to make any difference. The itching comes and goes, but when it comes it's very intense. This all started in February and I've never had this problem before. I'm scared because I think he wants to do a nipple biopsy. I also am scared because when I google, I get information about Paget's disease as well. How bad was the biopsy? I'm debating what I should do. About a month before this happened, well and still at this time I had a bought of recurrent yeast infections. Before that I'd never had one in my life. I feel like this may be connected, but when I mention it to the doctors, they just kind of shrug it off. I feel your frustration. I just really want to know what's wrong with me.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.