Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What would happen if?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would happen if?
YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YourLadyship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I stopped taking my BC for the month? I have a week left of actives. Would it induce my period? I'm asking because I'm still terrified that they are useless after leaving them in the sun. I would obviously just use condoms for the rest of the month and the month after to get back on track. Thanks.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Posts: 61 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you not have an extra pack you can just replace this pack with? If not, can you call your pharmacist to get one?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YourLadyship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, my insurance doesn't cover 2 packs refilled in a month. [Frown] And I can't afford it, since Ocella is $$$. Either way, it's sort of too late, we already had sex last week when I left the pills in the car.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Posts: 61 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

So, you can stop taking the pill until your next pack is available to you, but it may or may not result in your withdrawal bleed coming any sooner. Sometimes that will happen, other times it won't.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Alright, so I guess I'll just keep taking the pills. IDK, I just go so many opinions on whether they're effective or not. I talked to my doctor this morning, and she said they're still effective, just not as much. You can see why I am frustrated. I'm a perfect user, and I guess I just messed this up. I'm so mad at myself.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, it's very unlikely they are 100% INeffective. In other words, I'd agree with your doctor: if left in the heat, they may have become less effective, but it's not likely they just are not effective at all.

We all goof things up sometimes like this, seriously. Personally, this is one of many reasons why I'm a big fan of dual contraception, of using more than one method. That way, when mistakes do happen -- and they usually will at some point -- it's no big deal. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Yeah, I totally agree. I had a talk with my boyfriend about this and he said he's more than happy to use condoms from now on with my pill. I tried to have her give me an estimate on *how* effective they were, but she couldn't. Can you? I feel really lost and kind of sad. I have a week and a half until my period, so I can only hope it comes.

My boyfriend and I have decided on termination if it doesn't, which I am terrified of. Also, I don't really have the funds which is also pretty scary to me.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Heather
Member # 3

I'm afraid I can't either. I just explained why on these kinds of situations the other day here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/a_birth_control_pill_five_by_five

If I can help ease your mind, I know all of this is scary. But if the worst happens and you are pregnant, millions and millions of women have had terminations for a whole host of reasons, and when it's legal and safe, it truly isn't scary. Per funding, there are also funds out there for people who cannot pay to terminate. It's a bit of a headachy-system to work your way through, but we've helped other people through it before, and will always help users with that if and when they're in that spot, okay?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Thank you so much. I know I'm kind of jumping the gun here. Luckily, I have a mother who is very supportive. She's been through the procedure at a young age. I'll report back in two weeks if I need the help. [Smile]

--------------------
xoxoxo.

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Oh! And one last Q. The day I would have "gotten pregnant" would have been anywhere between the 15th-21st. My period will be here July 7th. If my contraception failed, I would NOT receive a period right? I didn't know if it was too soon for my body to "decide."

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Heather
Member # 3

What do you mean by the day you would have gotten pregnant? I ask because pregnancy takes somewhere in the vicinity of 5-7 days after sex to become a pregnancy, so it's pretty impossible to know which day it happens on, when it does.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

I should have phrased that differently. Those are the days I had unprotected sex.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Heather
Member # 3

No problem, just wanted to be sure I understood. Though now that I look at your question, I realize it didn't matter. Sorry for asking something irrelevant!

If and when someone becomes pregnant in a cycle, the first symptom is almost always a missed period. It's not about how soon the way you're thinking, because that lining needs to stay pretty much put to sustain a pregnancy. If it sheds itself, there's nothing for a fertilized egg to stay implanted in.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

Oh, okay, thanks! I understand now. Thanks for providing me with so much information. I'm going to do my best to try to distract myself for the next two weeks. I know I've had lots of trivial scares, but this is the first one that just feels REAL to me.

I know I have a great support system, including you guys to talk to when others would just tell me I'm overreacting. I'll post back here in two weeks either way. To celebrate or ask for some help. [Smile] Thank you so much for your , again.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

Heather
Member # 3

Of course. [Smile] Hang in there!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

YourLadyship
Activist
Member # 47144

So I decided to just keep taking them until the rest of the month, that would be wise, right? Salvage the effectiveness they might have. There's also a chance that nothing happened to them, right?

I'm so sorry I'm obsessing, clearly my mind is very occupied by this. Haha.

--------------------
xoxoxo.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.