Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Is it ok if tampons make you wet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it ok if tampons make you wet?
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure how to explain whats happening because im still sort of confused on what is happening myself. I dont like to use pads because i hate feeling messy and sticky and those weird wipes they make me feel stinky and yucky so i chose to wear tampons. But its like when i use them i get REALLY wet down there. I thought it was just sweat or something so id wear loose jeans, shorts and skirts to get some air but it still happens. Im not sure if this is normal or not because it didnt happen at first when i started using tampons but it just started now, like about 4 months now. It doesnt have an odor it just smells like water and its like coming outside of the "hole" not anywhere else and it just comes out like water [ like when using a pad and you can feel it come out when you sneeze or stand up ] and its alot like it makes my unders feel drenched and it goes through my jeans or whatever im wearing and if im not wearing anything it just drips down my leg [ [Frown] sorry if im too graphic ]. Is this normal to happen or should i stop using them? I use the tampax super brand because my flow is heavy and i change it every hour and i also use pads during the night because its longer hours.
Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someone else will have some info on this, but honestly, I'm stumped. I'd suggest calling your doctor to see what they have to say.

[ 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5647 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this ONLY happening during your period when you're wearing tampons?

Are you up-to-date with your GYN exams and STI tests? I ask because it may be possible you're just noticing increased discharges more with this, so I'd want to be sure this isn't a case of BV or another kind of infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to note that you should also see your healthcare provider concerning the flow of your period. If you are having to change your super tampon every hour, then your flow is probably at an unhealthy level. (And this may be caused by the same thing causing the "drippage")

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this only happens when i wear tampons during my period. Sometimes id just go the rest of the day using pads and it doesnt do this but as soon as i use a tampon it does it. What is BV? I havent been to my doctor in a while because they told me when i turned 18 i couldnt come back because i wont have health insurance. When i was going i asked if i could use birth control to make my period lighter and one doctor said no while another said i could.
Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BV is bacterial vaginosis, as common vaginal infection.

It may be -- this is speculation, based on logic, but still speculating -- that your vagina is trying to overcompensate for ho tampons dry out the vagina. But if you haven't had sexual healthcare in a while, I'd still get checked out.

Are you uninsured now? If so, Planned Parenthood health centers have sliding scale fees based on income. They can check for infections and ALSO talk to you about birth control, providing you what method you want.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Where would i find a center like this? yes im uninsured until im a college student. Tampons can dry it out?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes, tampons are drying by design: they are designed to pull moisture from the vagina.

Here's where you can find a PP near you: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/findCenter.asp

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Thank you [Smile]
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Ok i went to the clinic yesterday finally the doctor lady told me that i did have bacterial vaginosis so she gave me an antibiotic of something called mendonziole idk i cant remember how to spell it. But i take it twice a day for 7 days. But i also got birth control which i start in 5 days. She told me that taking an antibiotic would "cancel" out the birth control not making it work. And also when i was looking up stuff about BV it said not to take birth control while taking the mendiozole [ however its spell ] because it can mess it up too. So what should i do? The birth contol is a low dosage and its supposed to help make my period lighter and less painful and i dont want to not use the birth control when im supposed because i do not want my cycle to be off. And i cant stop taking the medicine for BV because it would make the bacterial harder to get rid of. And even if i do put off taking the birth control after i finish my medicine should i wait like a day or 2 until the medicine is out of my system? So what should i do? But also what is bacterial vaginosis? Im still not completely sure after spending an entire day researching it. Like idk i kinda feel bad about having it cause idk if its like a std and then it says that it can come back and stuff. I havent had any symptoms recently except the really weird and thick discharge and i told the doctor about that and after she did the swab and stuff she told me its what i had. But she mentioned burning and irritation when i peed and foul smells. I remember having the burning and irritation about a year almost a year and a half ago. Thats when i started having these weird symptoms so i thought it was a yeast infection because my mom said it was. The burning went away [ or atleast i just eventually got used to it after a while ] but the irritation and foul smell was frequent but the weird discharge was an everyday thing. It wasnt like my normal discharge where it came out watery but it was really thick so it just kinda stayed inside unless i was having sex or if i put something inside then a bunch would kinda be stuck to whatever went in. Is having BV for such a long time and not having treatment until now bad for my health? Should i be worried? Should i not use tampons this month since im taking medicine for this and can tampons bother your pH level? I was told holding your pee can be bad for your pH level too is this true? Is there anything i can do or not do to get my level balanced? Should i tell my parents about this? I feel really weird talking about it cause i just feel kinda dirty really. Sorry im asking soo many questions. To be seen by the doctors you have to make an appointment and i dont have a week to wair because its kinda urgent so i just need to know all this stuff.
Heather
Member # 3

There's a lot in this post, so let me start by making something clear: unless literally caused by a lack of hygeine, illness isn't about anyone being dirty.

BV isn't about being or having been dirty. It's a common vaginal infection that happens because the environment of the vagina gets out of balance. It also isn't classed as an STI, even though women having sex together can get it at the same time. People who have had sex get it, people who haven't get it. And it's often not about hygiene, though women who douche have higher rates of it, so in that way it can be related to hygiene.

It's up to you whether or not you tell your parents, but it's not contagious, so it's not like they need to know if you don't want to tell them.

You can use BV treatment with oral contraceptives. As well, know that it's your clinician's job, and your pharmacists jobs, to choose medications that don't interact with each other, so if they chose these two, and told you when to start, you can trust their expertise.

Having any infection for a long time isn't healthy, which is why when we have a user come here with possible symptoms, we advise they get looked at ASAP, and is why we advise people get tested and examined preventatively regularly, especially if they're sexually active. So, hopefully, from here on out, you can be more proactive about care. In the meantime, just take care of yourself. Young people's immune systems and bodies tend to be good at bouncing back from things.

I'd skip tampons while you're using the BV treatment, stick to pads. Per urinating, holding in urine isn't so hot for your bladder and urinary tract, so when you gotta go, go. In terms of getting back in balance, just take your medication properly and follow your doctors directions. To help avoid BV, again, if you douche or wash *inside* your vagina, stop doing that. With sex, using condoms can/may help, and sticking to cotton underwear, ideally not thongs, can also help.

Also, next time when you're at the doctor, that's when you can ask all these kinds of questions. You can also always call in with them: you don't need an appointment to get extra information.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, crazy coincidence. This morning I woke up and I had the same thing going on! I was still half asleep, and I thought that I had over used the tampon, like over filled it, and I checked and it wasn't blood at all. It was a HUGE spot of wetness, and I have no clue what it was. I figured it was just how sometimes you get wet when you sleep, right? But thinking about it, that couldn't be possible since the wetness comes out of the vagina, right?

Anyway, I very recently went to the gyno, about two weeks ago, and got a pap smear, but I supposed since that's all I went for they wouldn't look for other things, like BV?

I'm not freaking out or anything, this is the first time it's happened, but do you think I should go get checked out?

Also, I never have douched, I always wear cotton, and I've always used condoms during sex. Perhaps BV isn't what I have?

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Natalie: if you had a general GYN exam, they would be looking for signs of possible infections like BV or yeast infections.

So, if you didn't hear that you had BV after that exam, then it's not likely you did when you had it.

quote:
I figured it was just how sometimes you get wet when you sleep, right? But thinking about it, that couldn't be possible since the wetness comes out of the vagina, right?
I'm confused by what you mean here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well like, ok, you know when women get horny they get wet right? Well I read (and you probably know more about this than I do, because I read this long ago on the internet when I was really interested in studying dreams) that like men sometimes get erections in their sleep, women get wet in that same manner. I read that was caused by REM sleep. Am I wrong about this? I'm not talking about nighttime emissions, just general wetness and stiffys.

EDIT: To be fair tho, never before has it been like my underwear is SOAKED. Just a bit, and some discharge, pretty light stuff. This time tho, for a sec I was scared I wet the bed! I didn't, it wasn't urine, but it wasn't blood either, so I have no clue what the deal is.

[ 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Natalie H ]

--------------------

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

People who have vulvas or vaginas can certainly have sexual responses in their sleep, yes, including vaginal or vulval lubrication and potentially -- though it's likely exceptionally rare -- ejaculation.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

But can they do that with a tampon in? I feel like we're solving 'The Mystery of the Wet Underwear' here.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Sure. Vaginal and vulval lubrication don't just happen from the back of the vagina or one spot of the vaginal walls. A tampon not only doesn't fill the whole of your vaginal canal, it also doesn't cover any of your vulva.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Ahhh ok. So maybe that was just it then. It seemed really different tho, like watery, you know? Not mucusy or slippery like that. Oh well, it's not a big deal. Mystery solved I suppose. :-]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you can just keep an eye on it. If you have BV that needs treatment, it'll hang around, rather than just be something that just presents some increased discharge once.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

wanderingmind500
Neophyte
Member # 40882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderingmind500     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's been awhile since this post, but I'd like to add something, too.
Every now and then I have a clear, slightly sticky fluid that comes out of my vagina either like a normal discharge or as a heavier flow.
It's almost like a clear period.
I read somewhere that different things can affect what your period looks like, so I don't really know.
My friends experience it, too, though. Even though we aren't really sure what it is, we appreciate that it is at least odor and colorless.
So, yeah, we just call it a 'clear period'.

--------------------
wanderingmind500

Posts: 10 | From: Nebraskaland. | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autisticmajor
Neophyte
Member # 49917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autisticmajor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by "smells like water"? Water doesn't have a smell, unless you mean the chlorine smell.
Posts: 16 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.