Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » vaginal opening & body hair questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vaginal opening & body hair questions
ollie123
Neophyte
Member # 46336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ollie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all - been lurking on the site for a while and I'm really glad to find a place with useful info like this.

I do have two questions for you though:

1) I know you don't endorse hair removal or products/procedures, but I'm concerned because I have very dark, very thick hair, and very fair skin. It doesn't bother me so much, except that I noticed I have a lot of hair on my chin and jaw. Enough to look like I've got a goatee going on. It's embarrassing and I'm wondering if it might be related to any sort of medical condition, or if I'm just... fuzzy like that. Again, not asking for removal advise, I only want to know if this is natural or if I should see a Dr. about it.

2) Vaginal opening: is is ok if it's white. I've read that it can be anywhere from red, brown, purple, or pink, but white? I don't have warts that I can see, and it's only that inner ring around the vaginal opening that's white, the rest is a healthy looking pink. The white part is also really sensitive, but maybe that's normal. I'm not sexually active, but I've masturbated before. I also don't think I have thrush or anything like that, but I guess I won't rule anything out just yet. I'm going to set up a GYN visit tomorrow, but I figured it can't hurt to ask while I'm waiting.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to help! So, per your questions:

1) If you were sexed female at birth, being very furry can be a few things. The most common is just genetics: are other women in your family a bit more hairy than you're used to seeing with other women? if so, it's likely just genetics. If not, then it is possible you may have something going on causing that, like PCOS. So, never hurts to check. But if it is just how you are, I'd encourage you to accept you as you, and do whatever grooming makes you feel best.

2) Per the whiteness of the opening: how long have you been observing that for? I ask because at some times of the fertility cycle, it can look whiter than others, and thick discharges can also influence that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the hair fuzzy and/or tweezable, or does it resemble the kind of hair you'll find in your armpits or pubic area or a man's beard? FWIW, I've always had a lot of facial and body hair. I just tweeze, shave, thread as necessary. It's worth asking a doctor about, but it might well be the case that the doctor says it's just your genetics.

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ollie123
Neophyte
Member # 46336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ollie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
!) Yeah, it's the really thick, bristly sort of hair and while I can tweeze it, it takes forever. Creams and wax only last a few days at best. And it seems like I'm the only woman in the family with it. I suppose it could be PCOS - I've had menstrual problems (can't have a period without B.C. pills). I'll ask my Dr. if she thinks that's what it is.

2) I only noticed about two days ago, but I've never really looked before, so maybe it is a cycle thing. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it changes soon.

Thanks for the help, both!

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you only noticed the whiteness a few days ago, I'd not sweat it. Keep an eye, and if you develop any itching, burning, a feeling of rawness, very clumpy, white discharge or very thin, greenish or grayish intense-smelling discharge, then it's time to ask a doc.

Per the hair, if you are the only women on both side of your family with it, then you may as well go ahead and ask a doctor about it, especially with your inability to menstruate.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me ē Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ollie123
Neophyte
Member # 46336

Icon 3 posted      Profile for ollie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drudging this up to update that apparently this is normal for me. I've been keeping an eye on it for the past few months, and it seems like that's just the way my body is. It tends to be more white, but some times of the month, itís pale pink. I think discharge also has a lot to do with it, but itís not any sort of infection. Just me.

And yeah, my Dr. suggested that I probably do have PCOS, but she didnít run any tests or do anything to confirm it. Iím already on the pill for my hormonal imbalance, so I suppose Iíll just have to deal with the facial hair.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.