Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » on leaking through menstrual devices and retroverted uteri

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: on leaking through menstrual devices and retroverted uteri
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is the second cycle where I'm trying out a menstrual cup (I asked a question about this a while ago, but it's really old by now, so I made a new thread) and new issues are popping up. So I was reading a thread on an lj community where someone said her cup leaked, and that meant she must have missed her cervix. My own diva cup leaked, and it felt like I'd put it in right - I used the punch down fold, I didn't feel it in me other than a weird sensation on the outside of my vagina, and I'm pretty sure that's just the stem and it doesn't bother me so I'm not going to bother cutting the stem. But earlier today my cup had leaked, and I think it's leaking as we speak, but I want to let it fill before I get it out. Did I miss my cervix? And how do I find my cervix? I've been told by three different gynaecs that my cervix is pretty high, and Pap smears are a hassle not because they're particularly painful but because it always takes the doc a while to find my cervix. FWIW, I've ALWAYS leaked around tampons as well. Could my leaking around the cup and leaking around the tampon be related? Like could it be a retroverted uterus or something?

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's leave retroverted uteri at the door for now, okay? Not only does it not likely have anything to do with this, that's always a bit of a pickle, because it's questionable if that is even meaningful. The uterus sits in ligaments so can move on its axis for all women: it's not in one static place. But like I said, I don't see how the position of your uterus would impact this, anyway.

Per how to find your cervix, have you ever done a self-exam with a speculum to see it? If not, are there times you can feel it with your fingers (it does tend to mean reaching back into the vagina, sometimes very far back)?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done a self-exam, but the last time I had a speculum in me, I brought a mirror and asked to see all my parts. I saw the red dot of my cervix but at that point I cringed and looked away. And I just remember that it was pretty high. I could try feeling for it with my fingers, but I'm not menstruating during those times. I might just have missed my cervix, which leads me to my other question - how does a cup miss the cervix? Once it's open, it's open. Plus, it *had* collected blood, on top of the blood that leaked. I'm also wondering why I leak around tampons and if that might have something to do with my leaking around the cup?

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd say any of this is a matter of "missing" a cervix, so much as it is that the cup is sitting in a way where the opening of your cervix isn't missing IT, if you get me.

Can I ask how often you're changing cups or tampons? With the tampons, are you using the smallest flow size you can? Weird as it may sound, using larger flow tampons than a person needs can result in leaking.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

I put in my cup about an hour ago and it's leaking. I'm pretty sure my cervix is outright missing the cup, but my cup is collecting some blood. With pads, on a day like today, I figure I'd change twice in a day, although if I'm stepping out I put on a fresh one even if it's only half full.
With tampons I've used anything from regular to super. I normally use super, but I could try using a regular and see if that makes a difference. I take it out more often than every four hours, but only because I see it leaking, and then I look at the tampon itself, and it's only half full.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so with the tampons, I'd try a smaller size and see if that helps.

It sounds to me like with the cup, it's likely an issue of positioning. Are you getting the rim of it far enough back in your vagina?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

I might not be. But how can I tell if it's far enough back in? And by "back" do you mean "as opposed to front" or "high" or "far inside" or all of those? But I have no idea how to reposition the cup - once it's inside my vagina, it fills it up and there's no room for me to put a finger in to check if it's positioned properly. Could it be where I aim?

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.