Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » what is supposed to look like the vagina in a horizontal section?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is supposed to look like the vagina in a horizontal section?
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 5 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all the sections on the internet are drawn vertically [Frown]

I'm asking this, because my one is kind of wrapped around my urethea, like this: C (and not just like this: ( , antrough I haven't yet examined it from both sides at once, so maybe the ... extremities of the C seemed deeper than they are. But they really are serious, and quite different places than the central tube.) On the upper third it's the same all around, with the "feet" of the C deepest right after the opening.

When I first explored that space, I had a bit freaked out about "what's this meat cilinder doing indise my vagina???", even trough I was glad that "at least, it is connected to it's walls on one side". Now I've calmed down, figured out that it must be the uretea, and I know, that anyway, it works fine (with 3 fingers, as far as I've tried, but I had non-anatomical reasons for not going further. [Smile] )

How usual is this? What would yours look like in a horizontal section? I know that functionality is the thing that matters most, and I'm really not preoccupied about hypothetical partners judging me based on the looks of the inside of my vagina (hehe), I'm just curious... and ok, a wee bit preoccupied from a health point of view.

ps: I'm over 22, all grown up, if this matters.

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ps: i'm an architect and I think in sections when trying to understand interior spaces, just hope noone thinks about actually cutting anything!

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horizontal from what perspective?

Let me be clear. First up, are we talking about the vagina or the vulva?

Next, usually in diagrams, we have two different views of the vulva and/or the female pelvis: a view where legs are open and we are looking at the vulva, including the vaginal opening, straight on, as if we were standing in front of someone who was lying on their back, OR at a cross-section of that whole anatomy, as if we were looking at someone from the side who had an unfortunate run-in with a giant buzzsaw.

That given, I don't understand what you mean by horizontal or vertical.

[ 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm speaking about the vagina intself. as a tube.

and I think that i've mixed things up - when I was speaking of the urethea, I was trying to refer to the actual ...tube in which pee is conducted, and NOT to the opening on the end of it.

let's say that i'm standing on my feet, vertically, and I have a low table on my front, and from some reason all parts of me that are above the tabletop's level have became invisible. If the tabletop was a little lower, all you could see of me were my feet, now they are connected in the top with a visible part of flesh, but not too thick. And i'm looking down to see it.

Or it it's still not clear, we can talk about a view like the second drawing from here http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/anatomy_pink_parts_female_sexual_anatomy - the vagina here is drawn as a perfect cilinder, and i'm a bit stressed because my one doesn't just have folds or such, but actually has this section like a C, surrounding the [tube-that-conducts-pee]. On that drawing, that would be kind of an: U

wow, I can't believe I've found a place where I've got chances to get a response for questions like this. [Smile] thanks

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second drawing of that page is of the internal clitoris: of those structures we can't see, inside the body. Is that the one you mean?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

yes, because on that drawing appears all that, PLUS the vagina (as a cilindrical tube) and the urethea with the thing I've been calling "[tube-that-conduces-pee]", and the dictionary says it's the "urethra" ("the membranous tube that extends from the urinary bladder to the exterior").

I'd like to speak about these two things (vagina + urethra), and how they are related in the inside of the body.

In the drawing they are presented as parallel, but unrelated, cilindrical tubes, and I know that this is a simplification and when it's empty and unaroused, the vagina is closed, so it is folded up somehow. But in my case the way it's folded up could be represented, in this particular drawing, in a form like this: U , with the folded-up vagina wrapped around the urethra.

I hope it's clear now...

Heather
Member # 3

I'm not sure how you can know anything from your view about how your urethra looks INSIDE your body.

Inside the body, the urethra and the vaginal canal are like two parallel streets: one, the urethra, above the vagina, leads to the bladder, and the other, the vagina or vaginal canal, leads to the cervix/uterus. The vagina is not really folded up around the urethra in any way or any state, though it would be sound to say that the vaginal canal and urethra are kind of gently spooning the urethra and bladder, if you follow me.

Here's another illustration to be clear: http://www.medical-illustrations.ca/images/1016_female_urogenital.jpg

Also, to be clear, in case I'm misunderstanding you (or you're misunderstanding the anatomy), you can't pout fingers inside your urethra. The urinary opening is INTENSELY small. Your fingers can't go into it and then into the urethra.

[ 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

"you can't pout fingers inside your urethra." - I know, and I didn't want to imply that.

I also don't know where the urethra exactly is inside, and of course what I feel at the inside of the U is larger, than that single thin tube, so of course there are layers between.

I have been searching more, and I've found this drawing, showing what I've tryed to explain with the tabletop and all. But it's very small, and also different from what I can feel. The way my vagina folds would be an U on this drawing, too.

http://www.fotosearch.com/LIF137/ga316008/

Sorry for loosing your time, I didn't know that my explanations were so hard to follow. < [Frown]

AND if it's too complicated to explain, then I'll just give up the topic, instead of monopolizing too much of your time, and I'll wait until I can ask a gynecologist (right now I'm under antibiotics, and I'll wait until the equilibrium of all those microbes resets itself).

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Member # 3

Are you saying you think you can feel your urethra inside your body? If so, doubtful. You're likely feeling something else.

The illustration you linked to doesn't actually show the urethra clearly at all: the two visible openings in it are the vagina and the anus. The sides of the vaginal opening there are kind of around the urethra, but not really. However, if you stacked three marshmallows on top of each other and squished them all down a bit, you would get an accurate idea of how all three openings sit together. They all kind of spoon each other somewhat, so I suppose saying any opening under another is a bit of a U is sound enough.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi marigold, hope you don't mind me jumping into this discussion.

I just reread your original post, and I'm wondering if it's possible that what you're feeling inside your vagina is your cervix - the opening to your uterus. (Based on your description of it as a "cylinder inside your vagina.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(double post)

[ 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

AHA!

I totally didn't read it that way, the way Karybu did, and I think she may have it. If you are talking about feeling something cylindrical deep inside your vagina, indeed, that's your cervix.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Aaaand....just to make sure, I found a good clear drawing of a vertical cross-section which shows how the urethra and vagina sit together, and where the cervix is: http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/images/05-08-femaleinternalside.jpg

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

And if that's so, this illustration may help: http://www.fcmsdocs.org/HealthResources/HealthEducationInformation/cervicalCancerImage1.gif

Understand that what often isn't shown, or so easy to illustrate, is that we can slide a finger around our cervix at the back of the vagina, or even a bit further up during times the cervix is low. So, it can tend to feel like a tube or cylinder inside the vagina for that reason.

You might also want to check this out (so long as you're comfortable looking at photos of actual internal anatomy, which includes blood): http://www.beautifulcervix.com/cervix-photo-galleries/photos-of-cervix/

If you look at the photos later in her cycle, it's easier to see how the cervix juts into the vaginal canal.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

thanks, Karybu, but it isn't the cervix.

"The sides of the vaginal opening there are kind of around the urethra, but not really" - yes, that's it. My one is more around it, than as it is drawn. And I was trying to ask, that how much of that "spooning" is usual.

well, maybe these things can't be discussed so well in message boards, after all. sorry

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Member # 3

It's just that you're expressing FEELING something inside your vagina with your fingers, and you can't feel your urethral passage with fingers from there.

To be clear: if you are feelings something inside your vagina that feels cylindrical, it's not your urethra.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

it's a longirudinal fold, and yes, I can't know without getting x-ray eyes, what's behind it. The urethal passage is somewhere in that vecinity, just as in the illustration, but after all I'm preoccupied about the form of my vagina, my uretha is normal, I guess.

--------------------
{*)>>>{

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

and it's not an independent cilynder, just cilyndrical and connected to the walls of the vagina, as the inside of a C isn't a circle, even if it feels like that from certain points.

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Member # 3

Do you know where your cervix is? In other words, can you identify it and be sure that's now what you're talking about?

What about your urethral sponge/g-spot? In some women that can feel a bit cylindrical, too, and the texture is usually a bit spongy or textured, rather than smooth.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Oh, I haven't seen a post of yours, because I've clicked response before you've posted! Thanks for the images.

I know my cervix, and this isn't it. It's like the ridges on the "day seven" photo (the one above the "day seven" title) (one on the left and one of the right), but i've only got one ridge/fold, deeper, and it isn't caused by making pictures with a transparent plastic speculum.

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Member # 3

So, what you're probably feeling then is the top or bottom of your urethral sponge/g-spot OR just the sides of your vaginal canal, which are sometimes textured enough that it can feel like something different than your vaginal canal/walls.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

"the sides of your vaginal canal, which are sometimes textured enough that it can feel like something different than your vaginal canal/walls." - that must be it! thanks a lot! [Cool]

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Heather
Member # 3

By the by, I don't know about access in Slovakia, but getting a plastic speculum is actually often pretty easy in most places, so armed with that, a mirror and a flashlight, you can easily take a look at the inside of your vagina yourself if you want. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.