Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Mysterious bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mysterious bleeding
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered some random mid-month bleeding and I'm wondering what could be causing it. It looks just like the beginning of a period, so pretty heavy. I had a pap smear on Thursday, for which I took out my NuvaRing for about 1.5 hours (should be ok up to 3 hours, right?). Could the probing of the exam have caused this kind of bleeding a few days later? Could having the ring out for so short a time cause it? (I've taken the ring out for that long before and never had a problem).

Alternatively, I've been experiencing an inordinate amount of stress this week. I know stress can cause your period to be absent, but could it cause significant breakthrough bleeding too?

Just want to make sure this isn't something to worry about, particularly since I had the exam so recently. Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes one can have some spotting after a pap, but full on bleeding would not be at all common. Not should having the ring out for that period of time cause bleeding.

When you had your pap, did you also have an STI screening?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I have only had one sexual partner, and he was a virgin when we started.

The bleeding seems to have tapered off--it's really just spotting now, but it's still more than what I would expect. =/

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but you're both sexually active now, so you do both want to start those STI tests, okay?

I know you just had your app't, so you probably don't want to go back right away, but I'd do it soon, especially if you do continue to have unexplained vaginal bleeding.

And he could most certainly at least get his screens now. That doesn't give you all the info you'd need on your own health, but it does give some, particularly if he does test positive for anything.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

All righty. If the bleeding doesn't go away I'll go in and get tested. Meantime I guess I'll just attribute it to stress...
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

I got my pap results today, and apparently they tested for STDs which I didn't realize would happen. So I am negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. The bleeding is still going on--it has essentially been like a normal period. Is there another disease it could be, or is it safe to assume my high stress last week brought on an early period?

Also, I'm taking my ring out tomorrow... is it likely that I'll have my normal period next week or not?

Thanks [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.