Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Problem with tampons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with tampons
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't 100% sure where to put this, but I just had a question about tampons (an urgent one in the sense that I'm dogsitting and forgot to bring my pads, used my emergency pad at school, and I could only find tampons here) and need some advice.

I can't get the silly thing inside! I'm bleeding quite heavily so it shouldn't be an issue of being too dry. I know which muscles to relax, I have no trouble getting my vibrator in, so I know I should be perfectly able to insert a tampon. But it just won't go in more than half way, it hurts so much and just plain and simple jams up with the butt sticking out.

What can I do?

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you maybe try a different angle? What about using the very smallest size? I find some brands are better than others in terms of ease of insertion: I don't really use tampons anymore and don't mean to do an endorsement here [Wink] but think the very, very smallest type of ob tampon (without the applicator, more popular in Europe already, I think)? If all else fails, you could always just roll up some toilet paper and then change that frequency?
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to have that issue. One day it just worked.

ok try the ones with applicators if you have not, try the smallest sized ones. (or anyone that says ultra smooth)

Try different positions , squatting or one leg on the toilet bowl.

relax! dont force it in. ease it in slowly

Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahah, this is kind of part of the problem. I don't have anything but some.. medium sized one I guess, without an applicator. And it's kind of difficult to change toilet paper rolls during the night. I lined my yucky pad with toilet paper, should that help me avoid getting an infection?
I don't plan to use tampons because they could make my bad cramps even worse.

I guess I'll have to make due with what I have until the morning, but thanks for the tips.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if they're medium-sized tampons and you don't usually use them, then it certainly could be a reason why they're not working for you right now. Maybe if you look around a bit more for some pads, you might find them? I know it's around 10pm there but maybe you could walk to a gas station or pub nearby and get some from a dispenser?

I don't think infection is really an issue in terms of using a pad overnight so much as it just possibility starting to smell a bit, but you're alone and it's fine. Just as a thought for the future: I have a bunch of older underwear that I'll wear when I have my period so I don't have to worry as much about spotting on lighter days or it getting out of the pad on heavier days. I hope the evening goes well for you, I know it can be really pesky. [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever used tampons, and I'm a big fan. That said, they were initially confusing to use. Trying to put them was hard until I got the hang of it. One thing I found helped was putting a tiny bit of lubricant on the tip (I used Vaseline). I found that helped them slide in. I understand that Vaseline is not ideal for use in the vaginal area, so if you have some actual lube go with that. However, it's a really tiny amount, and, not knowing better at the time, I used it for months without a problem.
Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.