Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why do I only get turned on when I'm sleepy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do I only get turned on when I'm sleepy?
Varus
Neophyte
Member # 45732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Varus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering why I get more aroused when I'm tired than when I'm awake.
When I'm with someone, a lot of the time I don't feel sexually aroused, though I really like them. Of course I still do, but when I'm sleepy it's even more so. Alone, etc.

When I'm alone, and say about to go to sleep involuntarily I'll get excited, and then I can't sleep, my mind will wander into some crazy things. Sometimes it's annoying.

I don't particularly mind this happening, but it would be interesting to find out why it does.

[I happened upon this site and thought it may be a good idea to post this type of question here.]

[info: I'm male, 18, and pretty sure I'm healthy. xD]

[ 02-08-2010, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Varus ]

Posts: 2 | From: Canada, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hannah89
Neophyte
Member # 45702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hannah89         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Varus,
this usually happens to me to. I think this is because when you think about going to bed, it makes you think of someone maybe with you, or someone that you have wanted to take home in the past. If you don't want to think of this like me, go to bed earlier!!! Kidding!!!
~Hannah~ [Smile]

Posts: 7 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of sexual arousal is relaxation. In other words, if we're uptight or stressed out or frantic in any way, it can be tougher for our bodies to feel turned on.

That's likely part of why many people choose to be sexual at bedtime: because that's a time you wind down and become more relaxed.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, masturbation is great for winding down in and of itself, it's one of the only mostly reliable insomnia cures I know.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Varus
Neophyte
Member # 45732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Varus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if, say I didn't get enough sleep the night before [A lot of the time] and I'm tired walking around, etc?

Like it's weird when I'm more awake and I want to be like that during the say, say. And then when I'm tired during the day, it had a different effect.

I understand the relaxing, and all that. I suppose it's just weird to be half asleep somewhere and then I begin to think more about the person I like, and so fourth.

Oh, and thanks for the answers. [Lawl, at the masturbation one, though I suppose that also makes sense~]

Posts: 2 | From: Canada, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homerunman
Neophyte
Member # 45788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homerunman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have wild, romping sex fantasies, but only on the bus. Or in dreams. I assume that this is the relaxation thing.

--------------------
I went through a McDonald’s drive thru and said “I can has cheeseburger?” There was a pause before I heard “Nom Nom Nom” on the other end.

Posts: 22 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's because when you're tired, you want to lie down. And...well, that scene at the beginning of The Godfather shows that this isn't always the case, but you lie down when you're having sex too? IDK, but when I'm tired and want to lie down, my thoughts wander to cuddling with a guy. And the guys I cuddle with are guys I find sexually attractive, and the rest is history.

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.