Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ingrown pubic hairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ingrown pubic hairs
Xoxo88xo88
Neophyte
Member # 37460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xoxo88xo88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on this sort of terrible "cycle" involving ingrown hairs on my pubic area.

I began to get bikini waxes this summer but before that I used to shave my outer edges and never had any problem.

Last time I got a wax, much of the hair grew in ingrown. I looked up on the internet and it said it was best to try and get them out so using tweezers I removed the ones I could clearly see under the skin or those that made irritated bumps.

But now these places where I pulled the old hairs are sort of scabbed over and because of the scab, the new hair isn't able to break the surface and therefore becomes ingrown as well.

After my wax I didn't shower for 24 hours, applied a mix of baby oil and sensitive astringent, worse loose clothing, and exfoliated softly in the shower for the next week yet I still have so many ingrowns.

They are uncomfortable and I am extremely self conscious of how red, bumpy, and uneven my bikini area looks now.

Is it better to just leave the ingrown hairs? Or can anyone suggest a product or a course of action that might help? I'm really getting tired of being embarrassed when boys see my down there.

I have very very sensitive skin may I add which only makes it more difficult

Posts: 36 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a persistent problem and you have very sensitive skin, you may want to see a dermatologist.

You also might try leaving everything be for a week or two and seeing if it gets better on its own (actually, you can make dermatologist appointment anyways, since it may take a couple of weeks to get in to one and cancel the appointment if it gets better on its own). Keep harsh soaps away from that area, too, because you could cause other types of infections. Just wash with water and continue to wear loose clothing.

Since your body clearly does not react well to waxes, I'd suggest staying away from them from here on out.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmsb23
Neophyte
Member # 48384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmsb23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found with my 2 or 3 ingrown hairs that it is easiest to actually pop them as if you would a zit..that way the hair falls out so it can regrow itself, and the bump dissapears
Posts: 12 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really not a good idea to pop or squeeze ingrown hairs, as it doesn't necessarily remove the hair and can open the skin up to infection.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeahgirl
Neophyte
Member # 47754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeahgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to get ingrown hairs/hair bumps in my bikini area, but after I shave. With me, they would rub agains the ridge of my underwear when i walked, and that irritated the bumps further, which made them bigger and sensative/painful. I've never waxed, but I find from my own personal experience, hair removal creams work better for me (no bumps or irritations). But you do need to be careful when using them and follow the directions, because it is a chemical, and you can potentially burn yourself.

But as atm1 said, perhaps you should let things heal up a bit first.

Posts: 30 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmsb23
Neophyte
Member # 48384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmsb23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it is better to pop them then letting them sit there and letting them get worse. I agree with yeahgirl, a cream will help as well, but just keeping there is painful to you.
Posts: 12 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmsb23, it's actually much better to let them sit and work their way out on their own. It reduces the chances of them getting infected because you're not picking at them.

Xoxo88xo88, I'm insanely prone to ingrown hairs (thick, coarse hair mixed with dry, sensitive skin = disaster). My best advice is that once you have them, apply a hot compress. If you can see the hair, you can use a sterilized needle or tweezers to gently lift it out. Don't pry though! That causes scabbing and scarring.

In the meantime, keep exfoliating gently. Personally, I just mix some brown sugar and olive oil. It's gentle and inexpensive. However, I just use it on my inner thighs. I'm not sure how it will react in the vuval area! Might be best to buy a scrub specifically for that area. Also moisturize! It helps to soften the skin so the hairs can come out on their own. If you have itching, witch hazel and aloe vera really help. And for the scabbed areas, apply some polysporin to prevent infection.

Like atm said, I think it would be best to avoid waxing. If you like that form of hair removal, you could try sugaring. It's the same except the mixture is basically sugar, water and lemon juice and it's used luke warm or cold (no chance of burns!). I've found what works for me is disposable one-bladed razors and shaving in the direction of hairgrowth.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BunBun gave sound advice here.

If one is going to do any kind of DIY treatment for ingrowns, here's what IS usually best: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ingrown-hair/DS01167/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Popping and squeezing actually spreads the bacteria, which can create further infection and make you more prone to more lumps and bumps.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.