Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Birth control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control?
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 5 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have fairly painful periods- bad enough that the first day, if I don't time my medication right, I usually have to miss at least one class to relax on my bed with a hot pad because sitting up in a plastic chair for an hour is just not an option. My roommate this year keeps trying to convince me that going on birth control will help me a lot, and while I've heard from other people that it will, it doesn't feel like a good option for me. I am not, nor am I planning anytime in the future to have sex with men (happily monogamous with my girlfriend-soon-to-be-fiancee), so the whole point of birth control - to control birth - would be pointless for me. Besides, I have heard that it can have bad side effects and cause some health issues in some women... am I just being easily freaked out by word of mouth and is using birth control to make my periods easier a good plan, or should I look into other things to try?

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you explored the cause of the painful periods with your health care provider yet? If not, then before you worry about hormonal BC as a solution, I'd start there. If your regular provider is a GP, ask for a referral to a GYN. You want somebody with a experience in women's health checking this out with you. When you're talking with your provider, emphasize that you want to explore what is causing your pain and that you'd like to consider non-hormonal options before jumping to BC.

Hormonal BC is just like any other treatment...it has some benefits and some potential drawbacks. There are certain conditions where BC is an appropriate treatment for the actual problem. Unfortunately, many providers will just toss you on the pill because it will address the symptoms, but not actually do anything for the underlying issue. Once you've got a good idea about what is actually going on, you can decide whether BC is something you want to try.

If you haven't seen our article Stamp Out Cramps! you might check that out as well.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never felt like I have *particularly* terrible periods before. My mom tells stories about friends of hers in college who were on prescription pain meds, etc. I just miss a class or two every month, and that's only if I can't get my OTC naproxen to kick in before classes start for the day. So I never felt like this was something I should really be checked out for... inconvenient, but not an "issue." My roommate just thinks this is terrible. I will ask about it next time I go to the GYN though.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go ahead and ask about it, even if it is just an inconvenience. At the least, your doctor might be able to suggest a plan that would help you avoid those few days where you miss class. Maybe some dietary changes or starting your pain relief early could be helpful.

Do you know relatively reliably when to expect your periods? If you've got pretty predictable cycles, then you might find some benefit in trying to preemptively deal with oncoming discomfort. For example, I never had problems with cramps until I had my c-section. Now I have awful cramps on the first day. So, around a week before I expect my period, I start having a cup of "women's" tea (includes red raspberry leaf) each day. If I know I simply CANNOT have cramps get in the way, then I start taking a low dose of pain reliever a few days before I would expect my period to start.

Obviously, your roommate cares about you. But really, if you're satisfied with how you are dealing with your pain, there is no reason to worry about it. While I'm sure her heart is in the right place, it is your body and your right to make those health choices. If your pain is serious enough that you have to miss a few classes a month, then this is something that eventually you'll want to deal with somehow. While missing class may not be that big of a deal for you now, it may be a different story when you're talking about missing time from work (when a day off might not be an option). But it's your choice when and how you handle that.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to address one of your questions... I wouldn't feel too weird about using BC for things other than preventing pregnancy. That is actually pretty common, as far as I've experienced. I know plenty of people who started BC long before they intended to have sex in order to improve period symptoms; I do also have a lesbian friend who is on BC for the same reason. My mom also went on BC to help control her menopausal symptoms a few years ago--I hear this is not too unusual.

There are chemicals in LSD which are used to treat migraines, childbirth complications, and epilepsy. Just think of BC as yet another medication with a number of possible uses, only one of which is pregnancy prevention. [Wink]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also?

We can always use extra hands per volunteer help at Scarleteen! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.