Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Menstrual cup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual cup
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... this month I've used a menstrual cup (Mooncup brand) for the first time, and now that I'm done with my period I wanna ask any fellow menstrual cup users for tips on storing it and such. What I did after I took it out was wash it with acid pH soap and then put it in boling water for a couple minutes. Any other suggestions? [Smile]
Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I boiled it the first couple of months and then started soaking it overnight in a hydrogen peroxide solution instead to deal with any discoloration. I know that people use a variety of other methods, too. You might check out these archives for some other ideas. Good luck!
Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I boil mine and then just put it back in its little Diva pouch. But if yours doesn't have a pouch, I'd say...get it a pouch! Haha [Smile]

If you haven't already, I would check to make sure using a special pH soap is ok with the material. Don't want it to disintegrate or something.

Congrats on your first month! [Smile]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 5 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NonStraightAnswers:
I boiled it the first couple of months and then started soaking it overnight in a hydrogen peroxide solution instead to deal with any discoloration. I know that people use a variety of other methods, too. You might check out these archives for some other ideas. Good luck!

Just to ask,isnt hydrogen peroxide is some kind of bleaching agent?Didnt this bleaching agent some how ''melt'' the softcup?
OR worse still if theres some traces left on the cups.what is going to happen when the cups is reused for the second time with ''traces'' of hydrogen peroxide on it?

Isnt this going to cause problem like some sort of infection?

Posts: 48 | From: in mua beauty world,where everyone beautiful leaves there XD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be thinking of peroxide bleach, which isn't the same as hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide bleach also has ammonia (the stuff that makes glass cleaner stink), and I would definitely NOT recommend using it to clean anything being inserted anywhere. Hydrogen peroxide, however, is just water with an extra hydrogen atom. It works as a bleach on things that can "pick up" that extra hydrogen, which silicone can't, so there shouldn't be any "melting" issues. I certainly haven't experienced any so far and have been using it for almost a year.

That being said, hydrogen peroxide does still kill bacteria, and while that's good for the cup, it's not good to mess with the normal balance in the vagina. That's why I use a very dilute solution of the stuff to clean the cup. The hydrogen peroxide generally sold in stores is a 3% solution (as opposed to the 12-15% included in peroxide bleach) and I dilute that way down - half of the small Lunette (about 8 ml) in a large glass of water. When hydrogen peroxide is exposed to light it breaks down into water and oxygen (that's why it's always sold in a dark bottle). At that low a concentration sitting out for a full day is enough for it to have done so pretty much completely, so by the time I take the cup out the only traces left on it are of water.

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I boil mine and then just put it back in its little Diva pouch. But if yours doesn't have a pouch, I'd say...get it a pouch! Haha [Smile]
I keep it in a lovely flowery pouch which my friend made for me, she gave it to me as a gift at the same time as the cup [Big Grin] gotta love her

quote:
If you haven't already, I would check to make sure using a special pH soap is ok with the material. Don't want it to disintegrate or something.
I'm prone to yeast infections and I've read that using the cup can sometimes lead to them - washing it with a 'normal', high pH soap was pointed out as one of the possible reasons, so I figured an acidic pH soap would be better for me [Confused]

Anyway thanks for your tips everyone [Smile]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strawberryrock
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 43154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strawberryrock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm all done with my Diva Cup for the month, I just wash it off and stick it back in my bag, and if I remember to I boil it for 10-15 minutes before the next time I use it. Honestly I only boil it about half the time and I haven't had any problems yet, except the time I had a yeast infection when I used it and then forgot to boil it again-- whoops. If I were particularly prone to infections I might be more religious about boiling.
Posts: 33 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same, strawberryrock. I never get infections and I'm not really that squeamish...I just wash it with soap and water and I boil it every few months to keep it from getting too dingy, haha.
Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NonStraightAnswers:
You may be thinking of peroxide bleach, which isn't the same as hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide bleach also has ammonia (the stuff that makes glass cleaner stink), and I would definitely NOT recommend using it to clean anything being inserted anywhere. Hydrogen peroxide, however, is just water with an extra hydrogen atom. It works as a bleach on things that can "pick up" that extra hydrogen, which silicone can't, so there shouldn't be any "melting" issues. I certainly haven't experienced any so far and have been using it for almost a year.

That being said, hydrogen peroxide does still kill bacteria, and while that's good for the cup, it's not good to mess with the normal balance in the vagina. That's why I use a very dilute solution of the stuff to clean the cup. The hydrogen peroxide generally sold in stores is a 3% solution (as opposed to the 12-15% included in peroxide bleach) and I dilute that way down - half of the small Lunette (about 8 ml) in a large glass of water. When hydrogen peroxide is exposed to light it breaks down into water and oxygen (that's why it's always sold in a dark bottle). At that low a concentration sitting out for a full day is enough for it to have done so pretty much completely, so by the time I take the cup out the only traces left on it are of water.

Thanks for the clarification.Ah,I think I mix up hydrogen peroxide and the peroxide bleach [Big Grin]

Somehow,is it possible for me to just rinse the softcups with feminine wash after using it?Rather than using the hydrogen peroxide solutions to clean it?
And also to place that softcups in boiling water(not to bring it to boil in a pan of water) the next time when I want to use it?
This is to kill germs and dissolve any last ''traces'' of feminine wash,if theres any

Posts: 48 | From: in mua beauty world,where everyone beautiful leaves there XD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

quote:
Somehow,is it possible for me to just rinse the softcups with feminine wash after using it?Rather than using the hydrogen peroxide solutions to clean it?
"Feminine wash", from what I understand, doesn't disinfect it just "deoderizes", so it's not such a great option. But most of the cup manufacturers sell their own brand of cleansing wash. And for a more easily available option at least one manufacturer suggests using sterilizing solution (like what's used for baby equipment).

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.