Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Anxiety Busters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety Busters
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case it isn't obvious here at the boards sometimes, or in your own life, teens are often prone to anxiety, and the rates of anxiety in teens have been on the rise. As well, anxiety is twice as prevalent for women as for men.

This shows up here a lot lately around worries about pregnancy when pregnancy either wasn't even a real risk, or even after regular periods or negative pregnancy tests. We also tend to see it around all kinds of sexual and interpersonal interactions.

Here are a few links on how to deal with anxiety yourself:
http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm
http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/emotions/anxiety_tips.html?tracking=T_RelatedArticle
http://www.womentowomen.com/depressionanxietyandmood/anxiety.aspx

As someone who works specifically with teens, I often see a few factors that might be issues for y'all to pay special attention to:
Your diets often stink: how are you eating? WHAT are you eating: good, wholesome foods or a lot of sugar and other crap? Are you eating enough?
Sleep: are you really getting enough of it?
A lot of time indoors rather than outside: are you getting out of doors regularly, even for one walk a day?
Exercise: how are you doing with that?
Partners and friends amping up the drama of your anxiety. For instance, if you're worried about a pregnancy, are your friends helping distract you from that, or are they talking about it nonstop? If your romantic relationship is making you anxious, are they helping you talk it out, then move on to doing something else, or keeping you stuck in your worries around it?

What do all of YOU do for self-help with anxiety?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a time out: When I feel really anxious there's usually something going on where I feel like I have to immediately do something I don't want to do, or give a response right away. But the truth is, I almost always can sit with whatever it is for a while without anything terrible happening. In fact, things typically go a lot more smoothly when I give myself that time.

It helps to give others a heads up that that's what I'm doing, so I have one less thing to worry about. Then I can let myself go through all the ups and downs internally, and only respond when I feel more centered.

A body worker gave me a little exercise to calm anxiety that I really like: place one hand across your forehead, and hold the back of your skull with your other hand. Hold your head as firmly as feels good and breathe, maybe close your eyes too. It's also nice to do this with your feet actually on the earth--not synthetic carpet, not pavement--that can have an additional grounding effect.

Walking: I can't say how much regular walks help me. Ditto for journaling.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.