Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Strange Mole in interesting area...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Mole in interesting area...
ABC90
Neophyte
Member # 43482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ABC90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently shaved "down under" for the first time and I found a mole right above my labia. I don't ever remember having this mole and it freaks me out a little bit cause it's pretty large. Is it common for women to have moles there? I don't really like talking about this sort of stuff with my mom or anyone else, but I don't know if I need to get it checked out. Should I got to the doctor for this?
Thanks!

Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible to have moles pretty much anywhere you've got skin.

I'd start by doing the "ABCD" mole check.
quote:
From The American Cancer Society
The "ABCD rule" is an easy guide to the usual signs of melanoma. Be on the lookout and tell your doctor about any spots that match the following description:

• A is for ASYMMETRY: One half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other.
  • B is for BORDER: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred.
  • C is for COLOR: The color is not the same all over and may include shades of brown or black, or sometimes with patches of pink, red, white, or blue.
  • D is for DIAMETER: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across (about inch -- the size of a pencil eraser), although melanomas can sometimes be smaller than this.

Another very important sign of possible melanoma is a change in the size, shape, or color of a mole or the appearance of a new spot. Some melanomas do not fit the ABCD rule described above, so it is very important to tell your doctor about any changes in skin markings or new spots on your skin.

Other warning signs are:
  • a sore that does not heal
  • spread of pigment from the border of a spot to surrounding skin
  • redness or a new swelling beyond the border
  • change in sensation -- itchiness, tenderness, or pain
  • change in the surface of a mole -- scaliness, oozing, bleeding, or the appearance of a bump or nodule
  • a mole that looks very different from your other moles

What if I find something suspicious?

It's important to know the difference between melanoma and a harmless mole. A normal mole is most often an evenly colored brown, tan, or black spot on the skin. It can be either flat or raised. It can be round or oval. Moles are usually less than 1/4 inch across, or about the width of a pencil eraser. Moles can be present at birth or they can appear later. Several moles can appear at the same time.

Once a mole has developed, it will usually stay the same size, shape, and color for many years. Moles may fade away in older people.

Most people have moles, and almost all moles are harmless. But it is important to recognize changes in a mole -- such as its size, shape, or color -- that suggest a melanoma may be developing.

Be sure to show your doctor any area that concerns you. A qualified doctor should be able to identify any suspicious areas you may have. If your doctor suspects you might have skin cancer, he or she will use one or more of the following methods to find out.

Take a look at your mole and see if it fits any of those criteria. If you're concerned, then absolutely see a dermatologist about it. They may want to just keep an eye on it or maybe remove it as a preventative measure. Skin cancer is less likely in younger people, but sometimes they'll go ahead and remove suspicious moles anyway.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anon-e-mouse
Neophyte
Member # 43494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anon-e-mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have on on mine.

--------------------

Posts: 1 | From: U.K | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianneD.
Neophyte
Member # 43525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianneD.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 like that! I also think i have a cancer-mole on my back now, it fits the discription above!

--------------------
We are Beautiful, no matter what they say.

Posts: 6 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.